peteman

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
can I just "pull old cpu out and install new/upgrade cpu )into socket?

system is am AM2+ socket, now has a Phenom ii 550 (never tried to unlock...would i need to reinstall op system if i tried correct?) sorry i got side tracked

can i swap cpu s without problems with my operating system etc?

thanks for your time

Solution
think the athlon 5000 is cooked 0 core running 86c and 1 core @ 68c
it is an am 2 socket

well is the computer crashing or getting errors? cause if it is not then the CPU is not cooked

afraid of operating system
problems would result

the only way the OS would really need to be reinstalled would be replacing the motherboard.

sons upgrade is VERY new problem (

the only way to solve your problem is to make sure that motherboard can support that CPU your wanting to use.

tecmo34

Administrator
In theory YES, it is that simple. In practice, you have to make sure your motherboard & current BIOS support the Phenom II X2 550 before swapping. If they don't support the CPU, it won't work, so you just wasted money.

Changing the CPU will have no effect on your OS or any other components, outside of your motherboard.

peteman

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
SWAP !
1) thinking of a swap i my sons computer.. think the athlon 5000 is cooked 0 core running 86c and 1 core @ 68c
it is an am 2 socket

SWAP 2
2) original plan already have a 2x550 thinking of upping to a phenom ii 955

afraid of operating system problems would result

think the athlon 5000 is cooked 0 core running 86c and 1 core @ 68c
it is an am 2 socket

well is the computer crashing or getting errors? cause if it is not then the CPU is not cooked

afraid of operating system
problems would result

the only way the OS would really need to be reinstalled would be replacing the motherboard.

the only way to solve your problem is to make sure that motherboard can support that CPU your wanting to use.

Solution

peteman

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
computer just turns off, needs to "set awhile" (physical external temp @ cpu 180+f) when turns off...

so pretty much any AM2 athlon (dual core) processor would work, would athlon II, and phenom, etc, as long as board can support it

I was afraid it wiuld have to be EXACT same cpu, or it would screw up OS,
( if that is the case i gotta check out core unlocking forums next for my pii 550!

how would I know if it is getting errors?