Sign in with
Your question

Wd cavier blue temperature too high

Last response: in Storage
March 10, 2012 7:12:15 AM

I have recently bought a cavier blue internal hdd.As soon as i turn the pc on,the hard disk temperature starts from 26° C and goes up to 40° C at idle.on slight load it goes up to 45° C.when i remove the side cover of the casing,the temperature comes down to 41° C.
I have been using seagate hdds and the temperature hardly used to reach 38° C,and that also just before crashing.
I found this rather abnormal of the drive but the wd site mentions operating temperature as between 0 to 60° C.
Is this normal for a wd cavier blue drive?'

couldn't come with something solid from any forum.any help is appreciated.

my config is -

msi 880gm-e35
amd phenom 555be
corsair vengeance 4gb
nvidia xfx gts 250 core edition
wd cavier blue 500gb sata 6gbps/seagate 500gb sata 3gbps
coolermaster extreme power 600
a c 82 G Storage
March 10, 2012 12:36:29 PM

45°C is no problem at all.
a b G Storage
March 10, 2012 12:43:40 PM

The fact that the temp. drops with more ventilation is normal and to be expected. You might look into improving your case air flow if this concerns you. The temps. posted are not outside the norm.
Related resources
March 10, 2012 12:44:41 PM

Well I do think that is a high temp. Dont know about the WDs but my Samsung Spinpoint f3 is usually room temp.

Do you have an intake fan blowing air across the HD in your case?
a c 82 G Storage
March 10, 2012 1:41:49 PM

Max1s said:
Well I do think that is a high temp. Dont know about the WDs but my Samsung Spinpoint f3 is usually room temp.

Do you have an intake fan blowing air across the HD in your case?

45°C is not high enough to be concerned. http://storagemojo.com/2007/02/19/googles-disk-failure-...
March 11, 2012 6:40:22 AM

i dont have an intake fan..have a coolermaster elite 310 cabinet..a 120mm fan is there at the back to take out the hot air.but there's provision for another 120mm fan in the front for wch i have to remove the front cover of the cabinet.but the problem is my motherboard has 1 cpufan and a sysfan slot..so if i buy a fan how can i install it?from where will i get the power?
March 11, 2012 6:44:49 AM

i hav a seagate hdd,sata.i've used it for 3 years and it never reached above 37.now it makes a weird sound and reaches 40.its probably getting old..so comparing that hdd with this one,i thought mayb the temperature is too high...
March 11, 2012 6:46:29 AM

performance drops as temperature rises...isnt this the normal logic we all follow wen dealing with computer hardware?that's another concern for me.
a c 82 G Storage
March 11, 2012 1:39:55 PM

abhichat2008 said:
i hav a seagate hdd,sata.i've used it for 3 years and it never reached above 37.now it makes a weird sound and reaches 40.its probably getting old..so comparing that hdd with this one,i thought mayb the temperature is too high...

You can certainly figure out a way to add a fan if you need/want more cooling. In my VM server I added an Antec fan (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) using a molex connector. Running it at low speed is enough to keep the hard disks at 37°C.
a b G Storage
March 11, 2012 4:07:26 PM

Normal logic does apply but you have not correctly applied it. Many systems and devices have optimal operating ranges. In this case the performance of the hard drive is not impacted nor is it's life span changed as long as it operates in it's design parameters.
March 11, 2012 7:54:32 PM

GhislainG said:
You can certainly figure out a way to add a fan if you need/want more cooling. In my VM server I added an Antec fan (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) using a molex connector. Running it at low speed is enough to keep the hard disks at 37°C.

will try such a fan..are all fans compatible with all systems?i know all fans fit in the back of the system or the side panel of the tower...but since i have to remove the front and then install it,how will i know whether this fan will fit or not?(i know its a stupid question,but i have never tried such a thing before)
March 11, 2012 7:56:23 PM

Dogsnake said:
Normal logic does apply but you have not correctly applied it. Many systems and devices have optimal operating ranges. In this case the performance of the hard drive is not impacted nor is it's life span changed as long as it operates in it's design parameters.

cudnt follow wat u said...optimal temperature,performance not impacted...r u saying that this hard drive will work at higher temp and ws built that way?
a b G Storage
March 11, 2012 8:48:32 PM

No I was saying it is designed to work in a given temp. range. Running it at temps. below that range will not improve it's performance. Clearly higher are not desirable either (lol).
a c 82 G Storage
March 12, 2012 2:03:52 AM

abhichat2008 said:
will try such a fan..are all fans compatible with all systems?i know all fans fit in the back of the system or the side panel of the tower...but since i have to remove the front and then install it,how will i know whether this fan will fit or not?(i know its a stupid question,but i have never tried such a thing before)

It would be easier to tell you if it fits or not if you told us what case you have. If your case accepts a 120mm front fan, then it will work. I like the Antec Tricool because I can run them at low speed to keep the noise down.

DogSnake is correct when he says that devices are designed to operate properly within an optimal operating temperature range. In other words, your hard disk is designed to work properly up to 60°C. On the other hand, I wouldn't run it at such a temperature, but I wouldn't be worried about 45°C. Processors throttle (slow down) when they get too hot to decrease heat, but a hard disk won't do that.
March 12, 2012 6:52:03 AM

Dogsnake said:
No I was saying it is designed to work in a given temp. range. Running it at temps. below that range will not improve it's performance. Clearly higher are not desirable either (lol).

got it..thanx...
March 12, 2012 6:58:55 AM

GhislainG said:
It would be easier to tell you if it fits or not if you told us what case you have. If your case accepts a 120mm front fan, then it will work. I like the Antec Tricool because I can run them at low speed to keep the noise down.

DogSnake is correct when he says that devices are designed to operate properly within an optimal operating temperature range. In other words, your hard disk is designed to work properly up to 60°C. On the other hand, I wouldn't run it at such a temperature, but I wouldn't be worried about 45°C. Processors throttle (slow down) when they get too hot to decrease heat, but a hard disk won't do that.

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6528 - i have this case..it says something like a 120x25 mm fan..i know bout 120mm fan..but that 25 mm is the problem..r all fans the same 120x25mm?

and one more thing..r the fans which use molex connector better or the pwm connected fans?
a c 82 G Storage
March 12, 2012 11:03:44 AM

Quote:
r all fans the same 120x25mm?
Most are, but check the specs if not sure. The Antec will fit.
Quote:
and one more thing..r the fans which use molex connector better or the pwm connected fans?
It doesn't matter, but since you want to cool the hard disk, the decision criteria should be noise level and the availability of a PWM connector on the motherboard. The suggested Antec fan running at low speed keeps 4 WD Caviar Black cool; therefore you most likely don't need to control the fan speed. Run it at medium speed if low can't keep the hard disk at or below 40°C.
a c 372 G Storage
March 12, 2012 11:14:16 AM

I use wd almost exclusively. I'm not sure about their blue drives as I have all blacks. They range anywhere from 38C in winter to 54C in summer. I've never had problems with these drives and they are well within operating specs.
a c 82 G Storage
March 12, 2012 9:53:09 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
I use wd almost exclusively. I'm not sure about their blue drives as I have all blacks. They range anywhere from 38C in winter to 54C in summer. I've never had problems with these drives and they are well within operating specs.

I agree with you 100%, but the OP is concerned; therefore a $10 fan will be a good investment.
March 14, 2012 12:21:01 AM

Hawkeye22 said:

and my drive works between 38-45 till now.i guess that's normal..thanx...
March 14, 2012 12:21:30 AM

GhislainG said:
I agree with you 100%, but the OP is concerned; therefore a $10 fan will be a good investment.

looking forward to buying a fan..
March 14, 2012 12:23:10 AM

GhislainG said:
Quote:
r all fans the same 120x25mm?
Most are, but check the specs if not sure. The Antec will fit.
Quote:
It doesn't matter, but since you want to cool the hard disk, the decision criteria should be noise level and the availability of a PWM connector on the motherboard. The suggested Antec fan running at low speed keeps 4 WD Caviar Black cool; therefore you most likely don't need to control the fan speed. Run it at medium speed if low can't keep the hard disk at or below 40°C.

is there any splitter available with which i can connect 2 pwm fans in the single slot?else i'll just have to go with molex connectors.
a c 82 G Storage
March 16, 2012 1:34:30 AM

A pwm fan can't automatically adjust it's speed. The motherboard or fan controller increases the voltage when more cooling is required causing the fan to spin faster.
March 17, 2012 12:34:48 AM

GhislainG said:
A pwm fan can't automatically adjust it's speed. The motherboard or fan controller increases the voltage when more cooling is required causing the fan to spin faster.

but in case of fans connected with molex connectors the speed cntroller is manual since motherboard doesnt come in the scenario..tellme one more thing...where is this speed adjusting switch or speed controller in case of a molex connector fan?since i have to open the front of the case to install the fan,i want to know if i hav to reopen it to adjust the fan speed. :( 
a c 82 G Storage
March 17, 2012 12:53:22 AM

abhichat2008 said:
but in case of fans connected with molex connectors the speed cntroller is manual since motherboard doesnt come in the scenario..tellme one more thing...where is this speed adjusting switch or speed controller in case of a molex connector fan?since i have to open the front of the case to install the fan,i want to know if i hav to reopen it to adjust the fan speed. :( 

You are correct; if you buy the suggested fan, you'll have to open the case to change the fan speed because the switch is too far from the back of the case. Since at low speed in an Antec Sonata II case it can cool 4 WD Caviar Black disks that are very busy, you probably won't have to run it at full speed to cool a single WD Caviar Blue. A useless solution for your application would be to buy a fan controller. Ideally you want to keep your hard disk temperature between 35 and 40°C.
March 18, 2012 7:24:06 AM

GhislainG said:
You are correct; if you buy the suggested fan, you'll have to open the case to change the fan speed because the switch is too far from the back of the case. Since at low speed in an Antec Sonata II case it can cool 4 WD Caviar Black disks that are very busy, you probably won't have to run it at full speed to cool a single WD Caviar Blue. A useless solution for your application would be to buy a fan controller. Ideally you want to keep your hard disk temperature between 35 and 40°C.

thanx a lot..will check the fans and my preference of brand (corsair/cooler master) and buy a molex connected fan.. :) 
March 21, 2012 12:16:05 AM

GhislainG said:

hi..another question for u..what is a fan controller?i mean r these things available as a separate device?i ws goin thru the newegg website and i hardly found a fan which has a fan speed controller inbuilt other than the one u provided here...all other fan requires a fan controller.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... .....so..now i have the curiosity to know what is a fan controller...kindly throw some light on it...
a c 82 G Storage
March 21, 2012 1:43:26 AM

A fan controller is a variable resistor that allows the user to increase or decrease the fan speed as required. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

For your application, a fancy fan controller is useless. However if you really want one, then you could buy a less expensive controller: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... Having it installed in a slot at the back of the computer is a bit inconvenient, but after a couple days you'll leave it alone and that's why I recomended the Antec fan. You'll change the speed a couple times and then you'll set it back to the lowest speed and leave it alone.
!