Sign in with
Your question

Opinions on PC build

Last response: in Components
May 4, 2010 5:15:55 PM

Hi, i just managed to get some money for a new PC (YAY) and I wanted to run my build by some forums to see what people think.
please add to substitute anything you think will make this a better build while staying within the budget please. I'm basing this budget off newegg just FYI.

so here is my build, remember the point of the PC to to last a while and not limit me on my games.

Mobo = ASUS P6X58D-E
CPU = I7 920
GPU = SAPPHIRE 100282-3SR Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
PSU = CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ...
CPU heatsink = COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible
RAM = G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3 12800CL9D-4GBNQ
HDD = WD Caviar black 500GB with 32 cache

I already have a case from an old computer of mine so I don't need that.

this whole build is going to run me around $1,200.00 so if you can keep it close to that and you want to change something go right ahead. if you think this is a good build please tell me lol I would love to know I did something right :p 

More about : opinions build

May 4, 2010 7:18:36 PM

Great build! The PSU should last you if you ever decide to add another 5850 in crossfire. Motherboard looks good. I take it by that aftermarket cooler, you intend to do a lot of overclocking?

You did make one error though: The 1366 boards take triple channel memory, not dual channel. I would go with the CL7 Mushkin anyway:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Samsung spinpoint F3 is faster, quieter and less expensive. However, they are out of stock right now and the WD is a good alternative:

You have an expensive computer. If you are gaming, why did you spend less on the graphics card? This setup is great and if you intend to upgrade over time then excellent but personally I would have gone with a cheaper 1156 setup or an AM3 setup and gotten a 5870.

Also, "a while" is relative. What is "a while"?
And "limit me in my games" doesn't help us if we don't know what games.

Anyway overall an excellent build. Just don't forget to swap out the ram. The dual channel will work, but will operate in single channel mode. Although, I have yet to see proof of major speed advantages from running single channel vs dual channel vs triple channel memory.
May 4, 2010 9:21:02 PM

Well first off thanks a lot for the complements enzo.

Thanks for the pointer about the dual channel, though the problem with the RAM you suggested is its coast. So this is my alternative. Please tell me what you think.

The games I'm going to play are probably going to be something like L4D2, BFBC2, MW2, and Star Craft 2.

Ps to answer your question about the OC, I'd have to say no. I don't see a reason with this build to OC too much, maybe a little here and there but nothing major
Related resources
May 4, 2010 9:53:01 PM

The RAM's good.
Best of luck!
May 4, 2010 11:08:45 PM

Thanks I'll let you know how it went
May 5, 2010 3:08:39 AM

Well if you aren't going to overclock, there's no real point in the aftermarket cooler. The stock intel heatsink should be fine, unless you are selecting the aftermarket because it's quieter or something. If you're just doing a little overclock, you won't be looking at much heat increase. You could save money by not getting one and go for the 5870 though...

Ram looks good. Not as fast but really, the performance addition/$ spent for ram is the worst of all components.

You're system of course can handle all those games with ease :) 

You said you wanted the system to last a while? How long?
May 5, 2010 1:18:26 PM

When W said a while, what I meant was for it to last me through college. no i understand that I will most likely need to change the graphics card but the rest of the parts should be good for the next few years right ?

furthermore I've been looking at NewEgg and I found out that a GTX 470 is not that much more then a 5850 and yet somehow better then both the 5850 and the 5870.

here us a link to what I found

Thanks again for all of your reply's!
May 5, 2010 1:20:03 PM

BTW, if i were to get a case what case should I get ?

I was thinking Antec 300 for its cheap yet good build.

any ideas ?

(something came up and i need one so....)
May 5, 2010 1:23:04 PM

PPS (lol) would an Antec 300 be able to fit all this ?
May 5, 2010 2:05:33 PM

[1] Antec 600 would be a better bet.
[2] The GTX 470 runs very hot, mind you, & consumes much more power than a 5850. I would recommend you to stick with the 5850, since it gives adequate frame rates for all the games today @ full HD, ie 1900 X 1200.
May 5, 2010 2:22:22 PM

ilikegirls said:
BTW, if i were to get a case what case should I get ?

I was thinking Antec 300 for its cheap yet good build.

any ideas ?

(something came up and i need one so....)

The antec 300 is a great case. I ran a GTX295 with a quad athlon in it before. Of course, the 300 will not fit anything more than a 10.5" card in comfortably. Unless you feel like cutting into the hard drive bays (with the way they are set up, this would be easy to do with the right tools though). So it will fit the 470 and 480 but don't expect to be upgrading to any newer dual cards like the 5970. The cooling was sufficient for what I needed. The case is quiet on minimum. Then again, the GTX470 runs hotter you might end up turning the fans up. It sounds like a quiet air conditioner with those fans turned up all the way. Of course, aftermarket fans are an option.
May 5, 2010 2:47:58 PM

Just curious, why not get an i7-930 instead of the i7-920?

I could be wrong, but I have not seen benchmarks indicating that the 470 is better than the 5870, except perhaps at certain games that use PhysX and possibly applications that use CUDA. The 5850 is a very good balance of price/performance at its current pricing. You could look at THG Best Graphics Cards for the Money (April 2010) and see if there are better suggestions for your price range.
May 5, 2010 9:46:49 PM

Well the 920 is cheaper and just running at a lower rate then the 930 so I want to save the money.

and i just double checked and your right i should stay with the 5850. i was looking at Bad company 2 and the 470 beat both card in that game but in the rest of them it didnt.

sorry i need to pay more attention.
!