Solved

Help with 1600Mhz RAM on 1333Mhz M.B.

Hi, I've got a pair of 2GB G.Skill Ripjaw series 1600Mhz RAM sticks (cas latency is 9). They are currently underclocked to 1333Mhz on my MSI 890FXA-GD70 MB which supports 1333Mhz and 1600Mhz (OC). My questions are ...

1. If I wanted to increase RAM speed to 1600Mhz, would I need to overclock my CPU (Phenom II x4 955 BE) as well?

2. Is it possible to keep my speed at 1333Mhz and tighten the timings? If so, which would give me better performance (1333Mhz w/ tight timings or 1600Mhz w/ cas 9)

3. Would tightening my timings still be overclocking?

As you can tell, I'm completely new to overclocking and am a little scared of it. :(
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help 1600mhz 1333mhz
  1. Best answer
    Well, if your ram is 1600 underclocked to 1333 and you wanted to clock up to 1600 you should try stock timings for your 1600 mhz, try 1T instead of 2T and if you have problems put it at 2T. Yes, you'd have to oc the cpu, bus ht and probably have to raise the v-core. very tedious. kinda fun if you have the time.
  2. If your going to do it, make sure you know what your settings are stock and go up each time. watch temps and have fun.
  3. Great, thanks. One more question, does OC'ing actually bring down the life of a product? Or is it just the extra heat from OC'ing? My CPU is at 23C idle, and I ran Prime95 for about 5 mins and it hit 60C, I think I'll get an aftermarket cooler before I OC.
  4. Well, OC decreases the lifespan of the CPU. But how much that depends on the OC intensity. The greater the OC, the shorter the lifespan.
  5. I got a GA-790FXTA-UD5, AMD Phenom II X4 955, Xigmatek Thor\'s Hammer CPU Cooler and I use this stick g.skill F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH.
  6. Ok, thanks for all the feedback, one last question. I've got an MSI board with an easy overclock dial and OC genie. What should I use for an easy overclock maybe up to like 3.4Ghz or something? Will the OC genie OC my RAM as well? And will the genie take care of voltages and all that? (Cause that's what I'm really scared of when thinking of overclocking) I heard that high voltages are way way more dangerous than heat.
  7. Go with the new Zalman 9900 MAX series that comes out soon, Also, buy ZERO-Therm! it brought my temps down 35c!
  8. It's easier to overclock by yourself because you learn exactly whats going on with the equipment when something happens. When you ready, hit me up and I will help you OC.
  9. k, thanks :)
  10. Best answer selected by mike8472.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Overclocking RAM