Sign in with
Your question

Spare PCIe x1 slot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 16, 2010 8:32:37 AM

I have a 4 monitor set-up w/ 2 NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT cards. I want to add a plasma/LCD TV w/ an HDMI cable as an additional monitor. I have a spare PCIe x1 slot and was thinking of installing another graphics card.

What graphics card would suit such a configuration and what other considerations would I need to make: i.e. PSU (which is 700W), etc?

Thanks.

More about : spare pcie slot

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 16, 2010 11:34:26 AM

I don't know of any video cards that will fit in an x1 slot. But that's what you would need. Well, either that or a new motherboard that supports 3 video cards.
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2010 2:45:50 PM

This?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Although if you're running Vista, it might be a problem because I don't think it'll let you have nvidia drivers and ATI drivers installed at the same time. That and another brand of 4350 are the only ones I see out there that will fit in a PCIe x1 slot and have HDMI.

If it'll work, it looks like that card uses hardly any power at all, so I wouldn't worry about your power supply.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2010 3:12:06 PM

A couple other options would be to get a PCI video card instead of PCI-e x1. if you have a PCI slot available. - Or you could sell the 2 - 9800s while they still have some resale value and buy a couple 5770's (or 5850s if you can afford them) which would support up to 6 screens. (which also would relieve the PSU pressure)
April 2, 2010 3:44:20 AM

You can mod a PCIe X16 card to fit a PCIe X1 slot (I did - see my web site for details, or search Google for "PCIe X1 video card mod"), or modify an X1 slot so it can take an X16 card (other people have posted examples on the web). In my situation, the stock 300.W power supply was fine with both video cards since they were only 8400GS cards, and it is only a non-overclocked Core-2 Duo system, so it's not a power hog.
!