Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Changing assigned administrator in windows xp

Last response: in Windows XP
October 24, 2012 9:05:57 PM

I have a 7 year old Gateway laptop with Widows XP SP2. My friend gave it to me. I logged on as a second user, & now want to make myself the administrator. His (administrator) side takes over 7 minutes to boot up, while mine takes 2 1/2 min. I've de fragged it, M.S.Security essentials is enabled, & I scan every other week using Malwarebytes. Both sides have the same upgrades to the same programs. I cannot understand why this happens.
I need to know how to use my side of the computer as the administrative one. Learning how to merge my side into the administrator's may be helpful if I cannot change the "Official" administrator. If that is my only solution, I hope the problems that plague the administrator's side do not reappear, or dominate, the merged computer. I would also like to ask why I can access most everything on the Hard drive, yet this computer views me as someone different? If I knew I was going to have these problems, I would never have opened my own account.
Thanks for your time.
Emile :D 

Best solution

October 24, 2012 9:31:12 PM

Log in using the existing administrative account, go to the control panel, then the users section, click on your username, and from there it is basically clicking a radio button, hitting an OK button or two, logging out from that account and back into your newly administrative account.
October 28, 2012 12:34:06 AM

Best answer selected by 8tmile.
m
l
October 28, 2012 12:36:39 AM

I cannot believe how easy it was to get an answer using this forum, and how easy it was to accomplish something I've been trying to do for so long. Thanks
m
l
!