My ssd is much more slower than a hdd!!!

gannicus

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
I just replaced my HDD(WD scorpio Blace 7200rpm) with a ssd(Verbatim 128Go SATA2Black Edition, review here http://blog.testfreaks.com/review/review-of-verbatim-sata-ii-2-5-128gb-ssd-upgrade-kit/).

But I get a horrebe disc perfomance, it's much more slower than my hdd, here is some resault of the test, I even haven't finish the test, because it taked too long time!
Capture.JPG

For information:
My pc: Dell Studio XPS 1640. CPU CoreDou P8700, grapyc card ATI Radeon HD 3670. bois version A15.
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
BOIS set on AHCI. TRIM Is Enabled. ssd is aligned.
I've tried clon os from my HDD to ssd, I alos tried clean install windows7 in ssd
I've tried both "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" and "Intel Matrix Storage Manager"

I feel I run windows7 installed in a floppy disc!!! :fou: :fou: :fou: It's take very longtime to start my computer, to open a software, to do anything! it's drive me crazy!!!

It's been 3 days I try to fix the problem, but I have no clue why me ssd is so extremely slow!!!

Anyone know why? Thank you!

gannicus

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
If you cant see the picture of my ssd test resault, here it is:

seq read: 60.70MB/S
seq write: 13.95MB/S
4K read: 5.18MB/S
4K write: 15.75MB/S

I used AS SSD for the test

gannicus

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

and it is suppose to be read 270MB/s wrtite 225MB/s
but I only get seq read: 60.70MB/S seq write: 13.95MB/S

I have a similar problem and I'm contacting OCZ.

I started testing the OCZ Agility 3 in several systems and got results like this:

SATA3 desktop - 139MBytes/second max read

SATA1 laptop - SLOWER than my dad's old hard drive

SATA1 desktop - ran great (even though bottlenecked)

I know this drive is SATA3 but it should be backwards compatible, and being SLOWER than my dad's old hard drive (7.5 minutes to reboot laptop on SSD) is just crazy.

It almost sounds like the SSD is having issues with certain SATA chipsets and running really slow.

I'm just about to contact them myself, but this may be your problem too.

gannicus

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

Yes, being much slower than a hard drive is really crazy, 80% time I do is waiting.
I'll contact Verbatim next Monday, since your problem with your laptop is just as the same as mine, I'll let you know the reponse from Verbatim if you want, and I'd like to know the reponse OCZ give you. Thanks

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
this can happen if you clone os partition from your hdd to ssd

i suggest you to completely delete the entire volume on ssd, reinitialize volume as MBR and create the partition within windows 7 setup (after you click install windows, click drive options>new); either do it within windows (booted from your hdd obviously) or get bootable partition wizard cd ( http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html ) from here:
http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html (5th link, )

if that doesn't help and if all the settings in bios are correct (ahci mode pretty much, also try using a different sata cable) then i'd RMA the drive

gannicus

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

Thanks for your help.

Yes, I did clone first when I received my ssd, as it was so slow. I then tried a clean frech windows install.
I think I reinitialized volume as MBR when I did the clean installation, because everytime before installation, I deleted all partitions, one time I created new partition, another time I did not creat new and just click next let windows 7 setup do it.

I'll use partitionwizard try another time clean installation, and let you know.

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
It may help if you refresh your ssd by secure erasing.
Parted magic is generally used but I use Acronis True Image Home's DriveCleanser utility with good results. It writes zeroes to the entire data area.

And if you do a backup first, it would be a good idea to do it not sector-by-sector.

I am almost going to guess its a chipset compatibility issue(or a detective drive) as stated above.

The 4k read/write are actually still better then a hard drive(but slower then a Kingston V100 64gigabyte drive), but everything else is just not right at all.

Do you have another system you can test it in?

gannicus

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

here the feedback, I used partition wizard to reinitialize volume as MBR and create the partition within windows 7 setup. the SSD speed is much better than before, but still slow, especialy write speed.

disc prefomance by windows7 is 6.8 now (before was 5.9)

below are AS SSD test resaults:
Firmware: S5FAM012
Controller:msahci
Size: 119,24 GB
SeqTest: Read 205,61 MB/s; Write 58,98 MB/s
Random4K1TTest: Read 10,27 MB/s; Write 30,61 MB/s
Random4K64TTest: Read 56,85 MB/s; Write 37,77 MB/s
AccTimeTest: Read 0,510 ms; Write: 0,317 ms
Score: Read 88; Write 74; Total 204

the write test has only 58,98 MB/s, it's alot better than before, but still very slow.

Windows is clean freash setup, but computer still spend 1m28s to boot a clean windows 7, it's quilet slow for a SSD. install update and software is very slow also, it takes me almost 7 and half hours from starting install windows to finishing all windows update + Microsoft Esseentials! it's not nomal.

do you have some ideals? Thanks!

gannicus

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

I have no another system I can test in, I just reinitialized volume as MBR and did a fresh clean windows 7 setup, please see the new test resault above, what do you think the probeleme is ? Thanks.

gannicus

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

Thanks for your help. when you said secure erasing, did you mean "reinitialize volume as MBR and create new partition"?
I just used partition wizard to do this, do you think there may have a diffrence to use Acronis True Image Home's DriveCleanser? if so I'll try it.
but this time I'll not install all the windows update, because 7.5 hours is too much..... I'll only install window7 with dvd without update, then do the as ssd test.

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
No, I did not mean creating a new partition. When you delete a file on ssd the area that was deleted is not quite ready for new data. For that, you'll need to write zeroes on every sector. Somewhat like formatting a drive to new state...

Secure erasing is also done to wipe hdds to a state where previously written data becomes unrecoverable.

The disadvantage of most secure erase tools is they work in dos mode.
Acronis True Image DriveCleanse works in win, but to finish the job it requires a restart of the pc. But this is not impractical. You can download Acronis True Image as trial and use its DriveCleanse. (On the Algorithm Selection menu select "Fast")
Acronis homepage:
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Also this link may interest you... It's about restoring ssd performance to its original level. http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85344

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
One more thing, if you do decide to wipe your sdd by secure erase, don't format it as usual afterwards. Just do a clean OS install and let win installation do its job. Or restore your OS from a backup that is not sector-by-sector. (sector-by-sector just restores you to the point where you started)

gannicus

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

Thanks. here the feedback:

I installed Acronis True Image DriveCleanse in my hdd, works in win, to secure erase my ssd witch is conected by usb. DriveCleanse didn't requires a restart of the pc to finish erase. the erase was queckly done. then I did turn off my pc, replace the hdd with the ssd. boot from windows 7 setup cd to do a clean install.

below are the test resault:

AS SSD Benchmark 1.6.4237.30508
------------------------------
Name: SATA SSD ATA Device/Firmware: S5FAM012/Controller: msahci
Offset: 103424 K - OK/Size: 119,24 GB
------------------------------
Sequential: Read: 216,61 MB/s Write: 60,57 MB/s
4K: Read: 6,46 MB/s Write: 21,52 MB/s
4K-64Threads: Read: 53,09 MB/s Write: 36,46 MB/s
Access Times: Read: 0,685 ms Write: 0,471 ms
Score: Read: 81 Write: 64 Total: 181

there is no big diffrence as before. My question is: DriveCleanse didn't requires a restart of the pc to finish erase.
I do a research in the wed, and I find some information, as you said, they do did a restart to finish erase. there's something wrong I did?
by the way, the soft they used is Secure Erase
http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
I have used DriveCleanse several times. As far as I remember, its job in windows is quite short. After a while a windows pop-up and says it will reset the pc to continue and if you stop it from resetting it assumes you have cancelled the operation. After it resets it continues its job in a dos-like environment before finally booting OS. Since no pop-up window like this appeared in your case maybe it did manage to do its job in windows. I see that your performance figures are now 3.5-4 times of what it was before. You say there is no big difference... Am I reading the figures wrong?

gannicus

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

I said no big diffrence is for this resault: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/281475-14-slower#t1912034

Yes its job in windows is quite short, maybe the version I used is diffrent from your version, what I used is the newest, It did all its job in windows. but the slow write speed probleme still there. witch version of Acronis True Image Home you use?

Now I'm trying this method you told me http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85344

If it's not work, I'll try HDDErase, as these information I found blow:
http://notepad2.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-secure-erase-your-hard-drive.html
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/content.php?283-How-to-use-HDDErase

I'll let you know if it's works

gannicus

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

Finally it works!!!! :bounce: :wahoo:
I used Parted Magic do the Secure Erase
below are the resoule:
Sequential: Read: 225,25 MB/s Write: 139,76 MB/s
4K: Read: 6,85 MB/s Write: 29,07 MB/s
4K-64Threads: Read: 57,73 MB/s Write: 47,82 MB/s
Access Times: Read: 0,249 ms Write: 0,185 ms
Score: Read: 87 Write: 91 Total: 221

no more slow write speed!

Thank you very much!!!

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
I use Acronis True Image Home 2012. When I click check for updates I get that I'm using the latest version. So we are probably using the same version.

216 mb/s reading bandwidth doesn't sound too bad to me. But your write performance should be twice or more what it is now (60 mb/s)

After you put things in order (I hope) I also would recommend diskeeper with hyperfast defrag software. http://www.condusiv.com/home-use/diskeeper/hyperfast/overview/
You install it once, do the necessary adjustments and forget about it. Every time you boot windows it starts as windows service and does it job. Hyperfast technology does work as TRIM function too. I don't know how efficient TRIM is but this software has the benefit of defrag for all your drives too. (p.s. not all versions of diskeeper incorporate hyperfast.)

tgm1024

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I would NOT suggest having any kind of defrag software on an SSD.

With a properly installed SSD the bottleneck is with the I/O channel and the drive memory itself, not with the repeated seeks and SATA chip-level command set.

All SSD's can handle only a select number of writes. Even with wear balancing, a repeated series of endless writes will unnecessarily wear out your drive.

Google the topic, and you'll see maybe 100 reasons why.