"Overclocking Failed" without any overclocking.

jondoeiowa

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
I have read the previous threads on this topic and cannot find a "fail safes" in my bios settings. I have reset my CMOS, but I still can't get the system to boot without having this error.

Motherboard: Asus P5E3 Deluxe
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9650 3.0 GHz
4gb Ram
GTX 295 Graphics card

I am rebuilding an older Rig for a friend with no computer. Any advice would be appreciated.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Ok, from what I see out there, that board has a lot of RAM incompatibility issues. This is where the system can't adjust with automatic timing on the ram and fails and defaults to a poor timing setup. I believe if you were to look up your RAM chips, find their specified timing/voltages and manually set them up in the BIOS; that error should technically disappear. If I'm correct; the board mistakes itself into thinking it's overclocking the ram and then fails and switches to a failsafe mode that almost any ram can operate at.

So I suggest finding the exact model of the ram and adjusting the timings manually. Most memory modules actually have the model and timing printed on them. If you're using more than one type; set the timings up to the lowest speed (highest numbers i.e. 9-9-9-24 is lower speed than 7-7-7-24) of the chips and go from there.

jondoeiowa

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Nearest I can find info on is

W1600UX4G9 1600 listed as 9-9-9-28

My bios currently lists 2 categories

1st Information 9-9-9-28-5-88-12-6
2nd Information 10-6-5-4-7-4-7

So I assume this is correct then?

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
One is probably the SPD settings it's seeing from the chips themselves and the second is probably what it's automatically reverting to. Do the modules have any printed sticks on them telling you the timing? Without the proper timing of the chip for SURE, then there's no way of telling and you might want to loosen the timings from 9-9-9-28 if you can. Just remember higher is looser and easier for the ram to accomplish without errors.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I would honestly call the tech support of the makers of that RAM, get the timings for the specific model and manually enter them. I'm OCD like that. However, try putting some loose timings like 10-9-9-28 and see if saving that results into something that doesn't cause the message at boot.

jnewegger23

Distinguished
A lot of guides recommending only putting in 1 ram stick when troubleshooting. Just make sure you read a manual first as to which slot that mobo wants your 1 stick to be. You want to reduce as many variables as possible, get your pc to be stable then keep adding 1 item at a time. As stedorra has mentioned, compatibility also can be a big issue. Let us know how you start to get it narrowed down and we'll see what further can get done to get you up and running asap! In the meanwhile, best of luck!

Thanks,

Justin S.

schmuckley

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 18, 2011
hit f10 and carry on :D
Use the 1st XMP profile (9-9-9) ..should be fine.
Those are low-binned Hypers.
make sure DRAM voltage is 1.65v
9-9-9-27