Sign in with
Your question

My laptop can see my desktop, but my desktop can't see my laptop

Last response: in Networking
January 23, 2010 1:41:18 PM

Hey all,

I made a topic yesterday asking on how to connect my new laptop to the Internet using the same wired router as the desktop. From your advice, I bought a switch and now both have internet!

Today I started experimenting with connecting the two PCs so I can share files between them.

After several attempts, I managed to make my laptop see my desktop. I should mention here that my laptop has Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and my desktop has Windows XP Home. From my desktop I set some folders as shared and now they're all visible by my desktop. I even played some songs and such, it couldn't work better.

However, even though I have set some folders as shared in my laptop, they are nowhere to be seen by my desktop. Firewalls are all disabled and I have no idea what to do now or where to look for it.

What's funny is that when I pink my laptop from my desktop they communicate properly.

So, what do you think is happening?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 23, 2010 2:53:13 PM

Make sure you turn off firewalls.
January 23, 2010 3:29:22 PM

They are...I mentioned it in the post.
January 24, 2010 9:33:26 AM

Bump for help and new info.

Somehow my Windows XP desktop has started seeing my Windows 7 laptop, but every time I try to connect, it asks for a password.

I've never set any passwords...ever! And when I feel in the blanks, I either get an error asking me to contact the admin or I just get the same window asking for a user name and a password over and over again...

What gives?
!