What is Capacitor Aging?

robin banks uk

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
ok but whats it used for? gprs, motherboards,psu? Also how do you know what % your parts would fall into?

Im making a new pc so would I need to worry about this?

leo2kp

Distinguished
I agree. It's in the phrase. Capacitors have a lifespan and their effectiveness decreases with age. For example, my motherboard uses solid capacitors with a 50,000 hour lifespan, and they can go a long time before their age starts to cause a problem.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
It refers primarily to the motherboard and the ability of the capacitors to store current effectively. If you're looking at a new PC then your capacitor aging would be 0%. Although whenever a PSU calculator is used I tend to add at least 30% onto the given value due to various inaccuracies and also the fact that the majority of PSUs are more efficient at 70% load than at say 80-90% load. Hope this helps!

Look

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Capacitor aging is hen the capacitors in the PSU lose some of their capacitance, thus being able to put out less Wattage than what they are rated for. Remember that PSUs run at ~75-80% max efficiency.

leo2kp

Distinguished
To go off of what moody said, you may also want to think about how long you're going to keep this machine. If you plan on keeping it for 3 years, do a rough calculation of how "old" the capacitors will be when you're ready to upgrade. You may want to use that number just so you're certain the PSU is good enough for the life of the system.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
In that case, and bearing what leo2kp said, as you use your system obviously your capacitor aging increases causing less efficiency hence more power consumption. So you're really pushing the limits of your PSU there if that info is correct.

Are you 100% sure you completed the forms correctly? I've never been a fan of PSU calculators, mainly due to the complicated forms to fill out that the majority of people complete incorrectly through no fault of their own. That, and also the fact that they seem to under-estimate from my experience at least whilst your results seem pretty high.

If you could post a full list of your system specs that would help clarify.

robin banks uk

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

with out Capacitor Aging my pc came to about 670W and i have a 700w

thats with cpu 100%
System Load: 100%

robin banks uk

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

i have got a coolmaster silent pro 700w

the spec i will use is

over clocking the 955 to about 3,8116mhz

also i will be runing 5770fxx in crossfire

2-4gb of ddr3

7200rpm hdd

3 led 120mm fans

2 small led fans

ASUS Crosshair III Formula Republic of Gamers Series AMD 790FX Socket AM3 XFI Audio Card ATX Motherboard

Corsair CWCH50-1 Cooling Hydro Series H50 High-performance CPU Cooler supports LGA1156 LGA775

+2 ubs things

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
These are the official recommended power requirements based on your graphics card:

450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

This applies to the entire system not just your card.

It looks as though the calculator was fairly accurate. As I mentioned you would probably be around the limit of your PSU but you should be ok. Coolermaster don't have the reputations of, say Corsair, for consistently high quality PSUs but your model appears to have favourable verdicts from several technical reviews. You should be ok, but keep an eye on things :) Good luck!

robin banks uk

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

how can i check on my pc power Usage?

also i am planing to change my psu next year.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Electrolytic Capacitor
250px-Condensador_electrolitico_150_microF_400V.jpg

*Image from wikipedia

It has water in, that dries up over time. As the water (or whatever fluid), it's capability decreases.

Based on the psu calculator, you are pretty much near the max of your psu. Though realistically you wouldn't be pushing your components that high all the time. You could get a bigger psu if you want to.

Dont remind me. Got 3 caps about to blow. :lol:

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

If the CM psu is properly made (I haven't read reviews for your psu), it would simply die out since the components want more power than it could provide. Most of your other components should be fine.

Also the psu calculators are usually a bit overspec'd to be sure that you'd get something bigger. Check the reviews of processors and video cards and you'd see different power consumption numbers (usually lower).

robin banks uk

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

will i be ok keeping the cm runing as its new, if so im going to change it june 2011

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

Your psu seems to be a pretty solid one, you could probably use it way way past June 2011.

TRENDING THREADS