Hello and thanks for taking the time to look over my build. I'm a 1st time builder with experience tinkering / upgrading / repairing. Here's the cut and paste:
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2-3 weeks, Mid March 2010
BUDGET RANGE: 1.5-1.7k Before Rebates
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Movies (stream, store DVD collection), Dev (VS 08, .NET)
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, Have an LG-W2252TQ and may use TV, LG 47LH90
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg, tigerdirect but any reputable place that is cheap
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA
PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU, AMD GPU, open on all else
OVERCLOCKING: Maybe - depends on stability and performance of my build at stock
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe - planning to xfire in the future, may go with 2 new cards and use this one for an HTPC
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680X1050 monitor 1920X1080 TV
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:If I OC it would be mildly. I would rather never liquid cool. I would prefer a good looking quiet case (CM Cosmos 1000, Antec p182) but the HAF 922 seems to be everyone's top choice (and is @100$ cheaper). Future upgrades, SSD, XFIRE, monitor, added drives dependent on how streaming over home network works out. I think I can get the 200$ Microcenter 920 deal, but counting at newegg price for now.
A few specific questions off the bat-
1. With only a minor OC and the HAF 922 do I need a CPU cooler? Would I need it if I go Cosmo 1000 or P182?
2. Should I go with a modular PS, again is case choice a large factor for this?
3. I am open to keyboard suggestions, I want something with backlighting, I don't really like the look of the Saitek but I read bad reviews on razor and the g15/g19 are over the top for me.
1. case have little to with this, as long as the heat-sink is not taller than the case, i dont see an issue.
2. nothing to do with the case, if the PSU is modular it will just make it easier to tuck cables away, making a better airflow, but its NOT " large factor".
this is a good psu for the price http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Thanks for the replies and advice, I was worried about my MB pick but it was highly rated in one of the stickied posts.
I'll update my build with
Mobo: Asus P6X58D Premium $310
RAM: G.Skill Pi Series 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $180
Also I think wait until mid-april to see if the fermi's affect the 5850-70 prices and to see if the 920's drop.. if not I'll go with a 930.
A couple other questions,
1. A newegg review on ths G.Skill ram mentions that it comes up so high with the heat spreaders that it can get in the way of some CPU Coolers. Would anyone know if I'll have that problem going with a HAF 922 and Hyper 212 cooler along with that ram?
2. Am I right in thinking that the HAF doesn't come with side and bottom fans and I have to buy these separately? Anything wrong with these: 200mm fan 140mm fan