Sign in with
Your question

V8 not working on i7 920?

Last response: in CPUs
May 4, 2010 11:29:41 PM

Hey all,

So I just finished putting together my first gaming rig, with some help from my old PC components. And for the i7 920 I swapped from my old case into my new one, I ousted the old stock cooler and got a v8 to match my Cosmos S 1100. This was my first time doing thermal paste, but I cleaned the processor very carefully with acetone to get the old paste off first and then gently wiped residue off and gave time to dry, and I feel like I applied correctly, although it was the stock paste Coolermaster sends with the v8. I got this with the intention of overclocking... but my idle temps are ~40,37,37,35 right now, and when running prime 95 for a few minutes it gets up to high 70s low 80s so I get nervous and shut it off shortly.

Do you think this is due to the paste? Everything is hooked up right, I just can't figure out why it's going so high in Prime 95, I thought it would be cold enough to get a stable OC. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks again Tom's Hardware!!

More about : working 920

a c 133 à CPUs
May 5, 2010 12:22:32 AM

I dont know much about that cooler but I do know that it really isnt worth what it costs but anyways you should be getting better temps then that. I would say your thermal paste might be the problem not that its bad it just might not be even or you used too much or not enough. I would say get some artic silver or some other quality paste of your choice and try re appling it you need just enough to coat the processor you should almost be able to see thru it. Thermal paste is just meant to fill in any gaps between the processor and heat sink so you donr need alot just a pea size drop and then spread it evenly I use a piece of plastic wrap on my finger to spread it some people use an old credit card or something but just make sure its thin and even.
m
l
May 5, 2010 12:47:39 AM

^ That's cuase the v8 is trash.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2010 2:01:29 AM

You might have the mount not quite right. Might not be tight enough , you want to tighten evenly from corner to corner ? One way to check is to lay the computer on its side, side panel off. Stat prime 95 or even just watch your temp monitor. Put you hand on the V8 and press down. I'm not saying use a lot of force. Just some light pressure. I never did this myself but its sounds like a sound troubleshoot.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2010 1:00:51 PM

The V8 isn't a fantastic cooler so don't expect low temps anyway, and its mounting system isn't all that so make sure you have it nicely tightened and evenly so (i.e. 1 or 2 turns on a corner, then the next, then the next, etc until everything's tightened). Also Arctic Silver 5 or MX-3 are the TIMs you want to look at.

Also, when you say you used acetone to clean the CPU, what exactly did you use? Because it's likely that you've left an invisible layer of crap on the CPU which will cause problems. I recommend grabbing some ArctiClean and some high-quality lint-free clothes to do this properly.

Also makes sure you apply the thermal paste properly - there's 101 different ways people say to do it, but personally for Core i7s I do a thin line across the chip to cover all cores and then allow the heatsink to spread it out itself as contact is made, and it's not gone wrong for me yet. Just don't use too much.
m
l
May 5, 2010 1:13:31 PM

Had the same cooler on the same CPU in the same case lol. I will tell you right now to tear apart that V8 and put a decent CFM fan in it and throw the one with the pretty red LED in the trash. You can get decent temps out of that cooler if you do that and make sure it is mounted correctly but even a Scythe Mugen 2 got me better temps than the V8.
Another problem you will have with the V8 in that case is you will have to butcher the shroud area around the door fan for the thing to close if you do not have the revised door.
Of the 3 different air coolers I experimented with on the i7, the V8 was probably the most disappointing to be honest. Both the Thermalrite Ultra 120 and the Mugen 2 out performed it and by a decent margin.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2010 1:22:44 PM

the v8 is very capable, remove the cooler, clean off the paste with a napkin, put a ricegrain size amt of paste dead center of the cpu, then mount it back up, btw, what are ur ambient temps?
m
l
May 5, 2010 6:54:31 PM

xaira said:
the v8 is very capable, remove the cooler, clean off the paste with a napkin, put a ricegrain size amt of paste dead center of the cpu, then mount it back up, btw, what are ur ambient temps?

Dude.

Don't start.

Everybody here agress that the V8 is crap, wich it is, then you come here and post something entirly diffrent, with no imformaton supporting it.
m
l
May 5, 2010 7:10:10 PM

Calling the V8 crap may be a little too harsh but I consider it very average but priced like a top performer. It should be a 35 dollar solution, not a 70 dollar solution.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2010 7:21:42 PM

The 920 puts a lot of heat out for a processor. Having said that........ give it time for the heat sink-thermal paste to "break in". Use the machine for a while, shut down, restart and run, etc.
m
l
May 5, 2010 9:22:34 PM

c2explosive said:
Hey all,

So I just finished putting together my first gaming rig, with some help from my old PC components. And for the i7 920 I swapped from my old case into my new one, I ousted the old stock cooler and got a v8 to match my Cosmos S 1100. This was my first time doing thermal paste, but I cleaned the processor very carefully with acetone to get the old paste off first and then gently wiped residue off and gave time to dry, and I feel like I applied correctly, although it was the stock paste Coolermaster sends with the v8. I got this with the intention of overclocking... but my idle temps are ~40,37,37,35 right now, and when running prime 95 for a few minutes it gets up to high 70s low 80s so I get nervous and shut it off shortly.

Do you think this is due to the paste? Everything is hooked up right, I just can't figure out why it's going so high in Prime 95, I thought it would be cold enough to get a stable OC. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks again Tom's Hardware!!

Hi
This problem was encountered by another person in this forum and a fix for him was that him fan, which is in the v8 cooler was facing the opposite direction. try to flip it. maybe the direction isnt the correct one. as far as i know, the fan must blow air onto the cpu and your cooler might be blowing air away from the cpu. try it, maybe it helps. hope i helped.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2010 9:48:14 PM

the v8 is vertical dude, and i doubt the op would neglect such a thing
m
l
May 5, 2010 9:54:20 PM

xaira said:
the v8 is vertical dude, and i doubt the op would neglect such a thing

Hi
If the fan is blowing outwards, then the temps would go up. actually the reason i am saying this is because that other person got this v8 cooler with fans blowing air on the wrong side. so it is possible that the op might have gotten this cooler with wrong fan orientation.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2010 10:22:54 PM

The V8 is not crap. Its made by the same company that makes the Hyper 212 , Plenty of reports with hot cpu's being tamed.

edit: There are 800 reviews for the thing at newegg, and dozens of them are 920's at 4ghz with prime 95 temps somewhere in the 60's
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2010 11:46:04 PM

builderbobftw said:
Dude. Don't start. Everybody here agress that the V8 is crap, wich it is, then you come here and post something entirly diffrent, with no imformaton supporting it.

You're the one calling it crap with no information supporting your assumptions. The V8 is a perfectly good cooler that can take i7's overclocked to 3.8GHz or over depending on the stepping.

m
l
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2010 9:07:47 AM

OK, before this degenerates any further:

The V8 is technically a sufficient cooler which is improved by replacing the stock fan with something better. However for the price it's simply not up to scratch. In the very same charts posted above the V8 either performs the same, or is beaten, by coolers over 50% cheaper.

Then throw in a cooler that costs the same:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

And you can see why people call the V8 crap.

On its own, it's not crap it's fine. But for the amount of money it costs and compared to other coolers accordingly, it IS crap.
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
May 6, 2010 2:20:41 PM

^^+1000
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2010 3:08:38 PM

Thank you SAAIELLO. Can we stop bickering now and get back to why the OP's getting high temps?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2010 3:47:01 PM

LePhuronn said:
OK, before this degenerates any further:
The V8 is technically a sufficient cooler which is improved by replacing the stock fan with something better. However for the price it's simply not up to scratch. In the very same charts posted above the V8 either performs the same, or is beaten, by coolers over 50% cheaper.
Then throw in a cooler that costs the same:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
And you can see why people call the V8 crap.
On its own, it's not crap it's fine. But for the amount of money it costs and compared to other coolers accordingly, it IS crap.

And a Scythe Mugen 2 costs around $35 (half the price of either the V8 or Prolimatech) and performs just as good as either cooler.

There is a difference between whether a HSF is "crap," as in it just sucks at cooling, or whether it has a poor price-for-performance ratio.

According to this review, a Mugen2 performed 4 degrees better than the Prolimatech:

All three coolers are great. In terms of price-for performance,
Mugen 2 > Prolimatech > V8

m
l
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2010 4:09:12 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
And a Scythe Mugen 2 costs around $35 (half the price of either the V8 or Prolimatech) and performs just as good as either cooler.

Which is why I put a Scythe Mugen 2 on every client i7 build that isn't going above a 3.4GHz overclock.

Bluescreendeath said:

There is a difference between whether a HSF is "crap," as in it just sucks at cooling, or whether it has a poor price-for-performance ratio.

And I'd agree, but when a cheaper cooler performs better than the V8 the argument is moving somewhat beyond price-performance ratio onto "well, it's actually not all that good".

In any case, we've all posted enough benches now to show that the V8 stand-alone is fine at what it does, but there are "better" coolers out there if you look about.
m
l
May 6, 2010 4:26:16 PM

At this point I think opinions on the V8 are pretty clear. It does not help OP with his/her problem. The V8 is there so my recommendation would be to purchase a good Delta or Scythe fan and dissect the V8 and throw the factory equipped one in the trash. Replacing the fan alone will make a difference. It is a standard 120mm fan so the choices are infinite.
m
l
May 7, 2010 10:09:04 AM

I think that I have more than enough information now to try a couple things guys, I didn't mean to start a war here :p . In any case, I ordered some Arctic Silver and the cleaning solution kit that they offer so probably Sunday night or Monday maybe I will have a go at replacing my v8 and checking my temps. I will keep you all posted! Thanks again Tom's Hardware and everyone who took time to reply!
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2010 10:24:58 AM

c2explosive said:
maybe I will have a go at replacing my v8

If you are going to look at changing, I'd start with just the fan. Grab a good quality 120mm fan and see how you go, and if you still have high temps then at least you have a good fan already to pair with something meaty like a Megahalems, Thermalright TRUE or Venomous-X

Also double-check your CPU voltage too - having it unnecessarily high will generate more heat. I recently got a i7 920 OCed to 3.6GHz stable on 1.22v and never had it go above 70 degrees (and would've got it lower too if I'd used better thermal grease and tweaked the voltage a bit more).
m
l
May 7, 2010 6:51:21 PM

^ Or something more meaty and 20$ like a Hyper 212+

:lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2010 1:49:01 AM

builderbobftw

Quote:

That's cuase the v8 is trash.

Quote:

Dude.

Don't start.

Everybody here agress that the V8 is crap, wich it is, then you come here and post something entirly diffrent, with no imformaton supporting it.

First off, show me where you have support the V8 sucks...? Oh thats right you don't, you are definitely not a hypocrite. Secondly don't hate on it because you probably can't afford it lol. Third, I have a V8 and it keeps my i7 920 idleing at 25C..and prime95 doesn't even get it over 50C. It definitely sucks.
m
l
May 8, 2010 1:53:14 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
builderbobftw

Quote:

That's cuase the v8 is trash.

Quote:

Dude.

Don't start.

Secondly don't hate on it because you probably can't afford it lol.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

I'm building a Trifire Intell Quadcore Water cooled build.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2010 2:28:09 AM

Congratulations, want a cookie?

And what response to the other stuff...i said!
m
l
May 8, 2010 1:23:52 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
Congratulations, want a cookie?

And what response to the other stuff...i said!

The V8 loses to a 20$ cooler by the same company.

WTH did you buy it for?!?!?!??!
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2010 4:05:03 PM

Well first off I bought because I like cars and the V8 looks like an Engine...really cool. Secondly, It keeps my CPU 25°C on idle...I don't know about you but what can get better than that? On load...for example if I am practicing on my RC flight simulator, the CPU doesn't even get to 40°C, on Prime95 100% load, it doesn't even go over 50°C....I am personally very satisfied with its performance. Its one hell of a cooler. Plus when I bought it, it costed $44.99, not $69.99. I have to agree with you that the Cooler Master V8 has a poor PRICE:p erformance ratio, but it's still very good. I was going to get a V10 but its to big and invasive for me, aswell as to heavy so I backed down. And i bet if overclock my CPU it will easily be handled.
m
l
May 8, 2010 4:12:01 PM

^ So you have an awesome CPu that would be even lower with a decent cooler.

(20$ hyper 212+, 60$ Meghlamens, 90$ DH-14)

m
l
a b à CPUs
May 9, 2010 2:25:59 PM

builderbobftw said:
The V8 loses to a 20$ cooler by the same company.

WTH did you buy it for?!?!?!??!

because its sooo sexy

look at those curvs, :-fap
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 9, 2010 4:16:38 PM

Its claim to superiority is also the fan is tucked inside of itself and can run at two speeds.
Hence it can be almost silent.
The 212 goes for 30.00 dollars at newegg, and most get best performance from it , when they buy a extra fan for another 10 bucks. That brings you to 40, which is the same price the V8 has been on sale for countless time. This is another example of people hating on something cool.
Oh another problem, some bad pr the V8 gets is because its big and awkward and many mess up installing it. Its mounting hardware has gone through a couple revisions.

The V10 is another story. The mixing of a peltier plate with a heat pipe cooler , is overkill. And things broke.
m
l
May 9, 2010 4:40:59 PM

^ its 20$ on Micorenetr.

(the Hyper 212+)
m
l
July 21, 2010 1:47:04 AM

So I FINALLY re-applied the thermal paste (Arctic Silver ftw! XD) and it seems to be working... Honestly it does not idle AS well as I thought.. but it keeps it around 50s with Prime95 for the most part so its pretty legit. Thanks for all the help guys!
m
l
!