Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Cases
  • Cooling
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
December 15, 2012 7:13:41 PM

i am looking to do a case and cooling upgrade to my system the case i have currently is an AZZA Toledo 301 and i am trying to find an upgrade that's around 100 dollars that can support a water cooling upgrade that i want to do to my system which is a AMD Phenmom II 965 BE and evga gtx 560TI (the DS version), i would like to water cool these and was wondering the best route to go also there is a budget of 250 - 300 dollars (closer to 250 the better)

here is more info on the GPU link

thanks
dondon4720

More about : case cooling upgrade

a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2012 8:20:40 PM

First, read the water cooling stickies here at TH. They are just epic and probably some of the most informative guides on the internet about water cooling.

Second, spend the money for a case you like that has the room. Honestly, I'd go with something that has room on the top for a top mount radiator, removable HDD bays for even more room later on, and honestly I think you should love the way your case looks as well. So find something like that, and if it goes over the budget a little; I'd splurge and make sure I got what I wanted you know?

Third, all of the "premade" loops like the H100 and Kuhler 620 aren't worth the price so trust me stay away. Start looking up kits from XSPC like the RS240/RX240 kits. Those are decent performance entry level kits that can help you make a break into the water cooling arena.

Fourth, I'll state it again. Read those stickies. ALSO, learn more by going out with google on a date about learning water cooling. With water cooling you'll be tested in many of your skills, especially "making it work". As a few of the guys here who are hardcore water cooling fans would say, there's really no "one solution fits all" kit.

Fifth, have fun and learn! Learning is the best part about going into water cooling. There's so many ways to do things and honestly; there's nothing more sexy than a nicely placed well built water cooled system.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
December 15, 2012 9:16:56 PM

hmmm you've seem to have gotten the hang of this steddora :)  great job! btw, that out of the box *boom* solution is modo's sig/tag line.

would only add to what he said;
* about cases: you need to first read the sticky, understand the TDP, heat dissipation required then you can understand if the rads can go inside or outside. I'd go external mount as it draws fresh/cooler air than inside a case draw or spilling warmer air.

** well, now you've been asked to read the sticky, your budget will flux a bit but it'll be for the best -> case would also change.

*** think it out before going all gun hoe :) 
m
l
Related resources
December 15, 2012 9:37:46 PM

thanks for the tips, the main thing i am trying to figure out is how i am going to water cool my EGA gtx 560 ti DS GPU because i don't really want to buy a new gpu when i like the one i have
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2012 10:51:20 PM

Lutfij said:
hmmm you've seem to have gotten the hang of this steddora :)  great job! btw, that out of the box *boom* solution is modo's sig/tag line.

Yep. I've done water cooling but that was ages ago on a celeron 600 system I worked with in highschool. So it's been quite a while since I've done any hardcore experimenting in custom loops and the like. I've installed a few H80/100 and a 620 in systems but if you ask me, since my Hyper 212 performs so much better; those are just glorified tech badges for the people who really don't understand real water cooling.

And by the way, I've made a few selections for my own water cooling setup. I'll probably be regurgitating information about water cooling into my own brain for another few months until I actually do take the plunge as I've been crafting my own blueprints of my case and the brackets I'll have to make to mount everything the way I want it. I'll probably be doing an internal install since I run the Thor V2 and have a nice top mount and excellent ventilation. I'm currently stuck on how I'm going to go about routing the res and pump as I do NOT want an all in one since I got to see halfblazed's setup. I want the pump in my 5.25 bays and my res beside it. However, everything I find, I'm going to have to mod the 5.25 cage just to mount it correctly which is going to KILL aesthetics if I want it that way. So I may be moving my 3.5 bays up to the top (cut and weld of course) and move the setup down into the bottom of the case.

Beside the point, it gives me more up to date information about water cooling to help the others here. :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2012 10:54:34 PM

dondon4720 said:
thanks for the tips, the main thing i am trying to figure out is how i am going to water cool my EGA gtx 560 ti DS GPU because i don't really want to buy a new gpu when i like the one i have

Like I said, ask google out on a date. Me and her went over to tomshardware LOL and found this old thread.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/266567-29-watercool

Read that :) 
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
December 15, 2012 11:10:52 PM

:)  try to post all your thoughts in one post, double posts can be given a warning ... :) 

* people just don't know what Google is these days :D  modding is part of the watercooling path. Anyways back on topic -> research'll pay off the dividends to you and only you. After you've set it up , that'll be the passing-of-the-torch moment as you'll(maybe) think of helping the community.

** in fact if you do a search of threads in tomshardware, you'll find some amazing results.

*** may want to reconsider getting a full cover(that may warrant a new GPU altogether) - by getting a universal block.
m
l
December 15, 2012 11:35:45 PM

i have found full gpu blocks but they are all discontinued i was looking at the universal water blocks but that only cools the main gpu not the ather parts of the card, Swiftech makes a heat sink for the rest of the card but it is discontinued too :fou:  well i guess i have to buy a new card, mod or dig to the deepest darkest depths of the internet :D  well the search continues
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
December 15, 2012 11:52:35 PM

that's the spirit :D  keep going, but remember, we expect a build log after all this commotion!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 16, 2012 2:02:59 AM

dondon4720 said:
well i guess i have to buy a new card, mod or dig to the deepest darkest depths of the internet :D  well the search continues

Don't call eBay such bad names! A lot of times you can find it on eBay LOL Just a thought! Either way, think about the plus side of getting a new GPU... GTX6xx or AMD 7xxx! Cards that will nearly double your performance!
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
December 16, 2012 2:21:21 AM

erm, I'd leave the card out of the loop for now maybe and wait until the GTX 7xx's/HD 8xxxx's come out -> lower thermals, efficient and maybe better looking blocks+OP can save upto getting a block along with his reference card.
m
l
December 16, 2012 2:53:50 AM

that's a great idea now if only i can decide on a case any suggestions to get the juices flowing? i was thinking the NZXT switch 810
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 16, 2012 3:00:15 AM

I'll be water cooling inside my Thor V2 if I actually come up with a setup I like. Worst part is I want red LED's preinstalled... but NO Red isn't meant for water cooling! LOL I mean I can break out the solder gun; but if I'm buying one.. for pities sake.

LOL

Remember, most likely you're going to be hacking at your case. So, don't let one "I can't do anything with this" problem end a case from your selection. Dremel tools and screws and bolts and rubber grommets galore! Modification is half the battle my friend!
m
l
December 21, 2012 6:09:05 PM

well i think i have decided on a case it is going to be the NZXT Switch 810 now for the radiator. i am looking at the XSPC EX360
m
l
December 21, 2012 7:36:29 PM

I don't think the 560ti is worth liquid cooling... You should prob save that money for a new video card.
m
l
December 21, 2012 8:32:22 PM

us11csalyer said:
I don't think the 560ti is worth liquid cooling... You should prob save that money for a new video card.

yeah, i figured that i can just save up for the 700 series graphics cards when they come out next year i am just at the knowledge gathering stage right now
m
l
December 22, 2012 2:08:08 AM

I think up until I turned 20 I just re-used an old case from a HP desktop lol. One of those old white ones.
m
l
!