Computer Runs Great Until Reboot Inside W7

BarryLumpkin

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
My Gateway runs great until a restart is requested by me or a program. A few days ago, it would restart just fine.

When I select Restart, the computer appears to shut down fine, it beeps to restart, the Windows 7 screen begins to open but it freezes with three colored dots on the screen. It always stops in exactly the same place.

If I kill power, then boot again I get an offer for Windows to repair itself. If I let it, it cannot repair. If I select Boot Windows Normally, all is well. I can't tell there are any issues.

Except for this one problem, things are really running well. Odd.

I've run Chkdsk, SFC/ SCANNOW, and PC Pitstop Optimize3. Nothing finds a problem or fixes anything.

I'm stumped. Any ideas? :(

--------------------

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 965 @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 4
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 12279 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 , 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 875155 MB; D: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 824991 MB;
Motherboard: Gateway, TBGM01, , U00B092001094
Antivirus: Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live! Anti-Virus, Disabled
Avast/Comodo

BarryLumpkin

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Thanks for all the good ideas...

Memtest ran 8 passes without issue.

System Restore is not usable because it was cleared recently after the removal of a trojan.

The motherboard has the latest BIOS.

If you can boot into safe mode it must be a driver or startup program hanging you up. Have you tried booting into safe mode, run msconfig and disabling your startup programs temporarily. You might find it via trial and error by running a single startup program at a time or in small groups.

It can boot into safe mode because most of the drivers aren't loaded and startup programs are supressed. Did you run msconfig and disable all startup programs while you were booted into safe mode and before rebooting?

Other than that, I don't know what else you can try.

BarryLumpkin

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Problem solved! I replaced my PSU with a Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro. It restarts flawlessly now.

Why would a computer run just fine until I ask it to restart? How can this be related to a bad PSU? It seems strange to me.

Why? Mysterious world of electronics : ) Glad u got it solved!

BarryLumpkin

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
nikorr,

Well... I spoke too soon. I've even wiped the disks and reinstalled. Still the same problem.

My guess... there's a driver hanging just as Windows 7 boots. I always get the three dots, then the freeze.

Everything else seems to be running perfectly.

Try enabling Boot Logging on a restart . . . before Windows begins to boot, press and hold the F8 key . . . then boot by clicking "Enable Boot Logging".

Windows will create a file: C:\Windows\ntbtlog.txt

Hopefully the last thing listed will be the prog that your system is hanging on. Or the one before it. If the latter, you could enable Boot Logging during a boot you know will be successful, and get the full list.

never used it - but in order for the feature to be useful it should work, and may give us some more info.

I have no clue lol. But here's what I'd do:

Get a log of a full boot. Find the program that loads after srv.sys

Start a new thread asking entitled something like "Win7 Boot hangs after loading srv.sys" and in the text mention the name of the programs that load before sry.sys, and after it.

Then ask what do I do next.

When a thread gets this long, people don't often check in. Folks who may know something about where to go next are more likely to respond to a new thread.

TRENDING THREADS