Core i5 750 getting insanely hot

tonysathre

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
My core i5 750 gets insanely hot while under heavy load (97-100% CPU usage). I was doing an H.264 encode, and within minutes the temps in Core Temp peaked at 100 degrees C before I canceled the rip. I'm using the stock cooler with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. I plan on ordering a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ at some point. My idle temps seem fine to me:

Core 0: 49
Core 1: 46
Core 2: 50
Core 3: 45

Here's my CPU-Z:

2wgd3lu.jpg

What's the problem, or what should I do or change, to lower these temps while under load before I get my new cooler?

Thanks,

Tony

LOL are you for real you expect to overclock over 1000mhz on a stock heat sink you are crazy the only thing you can do is put it to stock until you get a real cooler anything more then 400 mhz OC will be too much for a stock heat sink to handle. Intel's heat sinks suck to begin with and with an overclock like what you got it has no chance in hell of cooling that processor.

Woah, Dude, Play nice!

Jeesh.

According to that CPU-Z something did. It could be reading it wrong or the BIOS messed up. The BCLK should be at 133, not 195. Try fixing that, and I bet your temps will go down.

tonysathre

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
The mobo is the Asus P7P55D-E. It had indeed "auto-OC" itself. The temps at idle are 24-25 on all cores.

Here is the new CPU-Z, look better now?

suxblv.jpg

So this mobo OC's well apparently?

tonysathre

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

That's at idle. I haven't stress tested it yet, I'll do it now. What are these power saving settings? I disabled C1E and SpeedStep. Are those the only ones? I read that those should be off. What are the options I should have on?

tonysathre

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Yes, as it hasn't killed the CPU yet, it means you can push 3.7 pretty stable with your new cooler with that setting.
lol

Like an idiot, I have been running it as it was for almost 2 months now. I hadn't really ran it with a high CPU usage until I attempted to encode that movie. Guess it was a good thing.