fapcys

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Hi. want to upgrade my PC by addin 2 more memory sticks. Now my issue is that i cant find right now memorys from the same brand as i have now installed. is it possible to use simultanious 2 different brands? if yes can i still enable the dual channel support? thx

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Yes you can, as long as it's the same type of ram (ie. DDR, DDR2, etc.). And it is possibly (though easier to use the same brand/model of ram) to use different rams for dual channel (refer to linky hurr!!):

"In order to activate dual-channel mode, the DIMM configuration for each channel must be consistent with that of the other, including:

* the same module capacity in pairs (2 x 128 MByte, 2 x 256 MByte, 2 x 512 MByte, etc.);
* the same DRAM technology
(2 x 256 Mbit or 2 x 512 Mbit);
* the same DRAM bus width (x8 or x16);
* single-sided or dual-sided modules must be used in pairs;
* memory slots must be fitted symmetrically (first Channel A, Slot 0 and Channel B, Slot 0, then Channel A, Slot 1 and Channel B, Slot 1).

Dual-channel operation could work if modules from different manufacturers are used. If the timing specifications (CL2 with CL3) or the DDR speed (DDR400 with DDR333) are different, then the chipset uses the slowest component in the chain."

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Well the only other reason why it wouldn't work is that the motherboard just doesn't like the ram. Some motherboards just don't like a certain type of ram - and no matter what you do they won't take it =P. But in theory, it should work =). Good luck with that!

fapcys

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
1 more question bout this...if i use my current memory modules on 1333mhz anyway, should it be ok to put 2 more sticks on, that have a max 1333mhz avaible?

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Shouldn't be a problem. They will all run @ 1333mhz.

Remember all your ram will run at the slowest speed of all the ram allocated. So if the lowest is 1333mhz, that's what it will run at =)