Sign in with
Your question

Just got new comp set up...

Last response: in Systems
February 26, 2010 7:18:56 PM

So I have everything up and running. The only thing I want to know is if my computer is running stable and at the speed it should be.

How can I check for all this? CPU, Ram, etc..

More about : comp set

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
February 26, 2010 7:21:49 PM

Go look at Step 10 of the Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC sticky. There are a lot of links to free testing and benchmarking software.

The most important one is Prime95 and RealTemp. This will measure how hot the CPU runs.

You should also check that the RAM voltages, speed and timings are set to the manufacturer's specs in BIOS. This is the number one cause of problems and can be avoided very easily.
m
l
February 26, 2010 7:25:42 PM

Yea, it was set to 1333MHz. Supposed to be at 1600 which I set.

Also, just ran CPUz. My CPU is running at 803.7MHz. The multiplier is x4. I am running a AMD Phenom II 955. The clock speed should be 3.2 GHz.

In CPUz, it jumps around a decent bit from 80.7MHz to 2.1GHZ to 3.2GHz. Am I reading something wrong or is there a problem?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 26, 2010 7:30:20 PM

There's no problem, that's what it's supposed to do. It's called "Cool'n'Quiet". The CPU voltage and speed will vary depending on the load. That is to save power and make the system run quieter when it's not doing much.

It's good you set the RAM speed to the correct value, but you also have to set the timings and voltage like MadAdmiral mentioned.
m
l
February 26, 2010 7:31:35 PM

The clock speed IS 3.2 GHz. 803.7 MHz times 4 is 3.2 GHz...

It's a BIOS setting (Cool n Quiet). The CPU is downclocked to save power and lower the temperature when it's not being used. I would leave it as it is. You don't need it running at 100% all the time. shortstuff beat me to that part.
m
l
February 26, 2010 7:33:26 PM

Alright, thanks guys. So I will be running a couple of the tests mentioned and setting the right voltage and timing.

Thanks again! :) 
m
l
February 27, 2010 2:55:40 PM

Just ran 3DMark Vantage. Scored a 11,017 in CPU performance and a 9,456 in GPU.

Using a ATI 5770 and AMD Phenom II 955.

Max temp was 53C.

Do these seem right for my system? Also, OC'ing..Would OC'ing to 3.5GHz give a noticeable difference? I have never OC'd, but have been reading up on, think I am almost ready to try. lol
m
l
February 27, 2010 3:11:57 PM

Any recommended cpu coolers? And would replacing the case fans help too? There is one spot open anyway, gonna fill that spot soon.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 27, 2010 3:16:04 PM

the cooler master hyper plus 212 is the current bang for buck option
m
l
February 27, 2010 3:19:13 PM

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus. Beat by obsidian. It's $30 on Newegg.

Adding fans depends on the case you have. Personally, I'm not a fan of additional case fans. I once saw some testing done on the best way to cool a case, and I believe it was a very simple setup with few fans.

One thing I would definitely consider is adding dust filters to the fans, assuming they don't have any. It won't make the case any cooler, but it will keep it cleaner and allow you to not have to clean it out as much.
m
l
February 27, 2010 3:25:04 PM

Alright, I will def be ordering the CPU cooler this week. I'll try to read a bit more on case fan use. No dust filters, so that will also be on my list. Thanks guys :) 
m
l
February 27, 2010 4:21:52 PM

Before I place the order, one more question..

Is there "good" thermal paste? Or is it all the same? Gonna need some if I get a new cooler XD
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 27, 2010 4:31:02 PM

there are good ones and bad ones but i'd say the best for the money is ocz freeze
m
l
!