Windows won't start, Burning Smell

Menthe831

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Hi there,

I am having a similar problem as some others on here.

My PC caught a virus last week. Today, windows failed to start, I was unable to boot even from safe mode.

THEN

I decided to take out my RAM to check and clean it. I think I may have put it in backwards. Shortly after I turned the computer on, there was a burning smell. I quickly unplugged it.

Since then, windows doesn't start at all, just a black screen.

I thought it may be the PSU or my Motherboard. However, the fans are working, and all lights are on, no physical sign of scorch marks/warped capacitors.

BUT my CD drive is not working so I am unable to boot from any disc.

Could the problem be a burnt video/graphics card? (the card is integrated with the MO) Or something else that burnt after I messed with my RAM?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
You can't install the RAM backwards - it physically won't fit.

Sounds like you had a short somewhere or a surge. Strip down your system to the basic components and see if you get any beeps and take it from there.

xaira

Distinguished
wrong, i once installed a stick of ram backwards (force it een) in my early days, the psu will fry if you do that, the ram however and evrything else was miraculously fine, test the rig with another psu, make sure when installing memory that the notches line up, lets hope you were as lucky as i was

Jimmy22

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Lol, how do you put RAM in backwards? I am not sure that is possible.

It does however sound like you have fried a component somewhere. Fingers crossed it is only your soundcard...

First open here up and remove all but the basics. (Mobo, PSU, Processor, RAM). If it starts you are lucky. Then add in the others one at a time. Listen for beeps (diagnosing problems by these requires your Mobo manaul) and ensure you have all your CPU fans connected and heatsink still properly fitted.

Menthe831

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Wow. Thank you soo much guys. You've all been really helpful. I really appreciate it. I will try everything you mentioned. Thanks again. Fingers crossed. (about the RAM, i guess i meant upside down, and yeah, i forced it in -_-)
...still have no clue as to why my cd drive won't work. there's power running to everything but that.

Menthe831

Distinguished
May 4, 2010

HI Xaira, yeah, it seems the concentration of the burning smell IS coming from the PSU. But it still seems to work. Can a PSU get fried, but still partially function?