dkaplan

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Hey there, when I overclocked my AMD pc, my BIOS said that I needed to raise the NB frequency so that it is higher than the SB frequency. I turned up the NB from 2000mhz (stock) to 2400mhz (one step up). Saved the changes and now the computer will not start up. Any suggestions on fixing? My build is:

AMD FX-6100 overclocked to 4.0ghz
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Corsair 16gb low profile ram
NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT (yes I know it's out-dated)
Antec 550W semi-modular PSU

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
You need to reset your BIOS. There's either a button or a set of jumpers on the board. This will set everything back to stock however and you'll lose any settings you've set. You've hit that "oops" point where the system is so unstable it won't even boot to p.o.s.t. Therefore, you need to go back to default settings to get back into the BIOS.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
No, they need to be shorted (have a jumper placed on them) temporarily. Is it two or three pins? I can't tell from the picture. If it's two pins you need to get a jumper to short them while the system is off. You could use a screwdriver if you have VERY STEADY hands. But I wouldn't recommend it as if you hit your mobo... well let's just say shorting the clear cmos pins would be the least of our worries. I have had to do it before and it can be dangerous. But regardless you need to short those pins for a couple of seconds. After that, a reboot will bring it back to stock settings and you can go from there.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
A jumper is used to connect the two pins. Basically, it's a piece of metal wrapped in plastic. It completes a circuit between the two pins.

http://insanetek.com/reviews/motherboards/DFI%20LANParty%20UT%20nF3%20250Gb/images/Picture%20005.jpg

That has a jumper on it like normal. Your board only has two pins and no jumper. So you need a jumper to short the pins together for a few seconds. The circuit completes and drains the power from the BIOS and allows the CMOS settings to be erased from the memory.

dkaplan

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Sorry about that, I forgot that my Internet shuts off at midnight. So when I looked at the picture, it seems like I take the battery that is on the board and put it onto those pins, correct?

dkaplan

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Ok so I did take that battery at put it on the prongs. It's fixed! :D now I just have one more question. Video cards; the one I have, NVIDIA 7600GT, is causing blue screens, my drivers are up to date. Would it be comparability issues?

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
LOL, I guess the battery could short the pins LOL! Either way it worked so you're up and running.

The 7600GT is very old! I'd make sure that thing is clean by blowing it out with some compressed air. All of the 7xxx/8xxx nVidia chips were HOT GPU's so dust could really help them overheat.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
If your card is overheating, yes. You need to get that thing clean as can be like I said, the 7600GT was a hot GPU just like my 8800GTS was.

One a week is enough for sure. I have so much airflow in my system I need to do it once a month; but average person should once every two months or so.

dkaplan

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Well I have good airflow to I would imagine. I have the gamma classic computer box running 2 intake on the side and 2 exhaust one on the back and one on the top. I think since I have more airflow I would need to clean more often. I will be getting a new graphics card soon. The next one will be the EVGA 660ti x2 in SLI. So hopefully I won't have those issues after that change

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Yeah, they run a bit cooler than the 7600GT for sure. The performance gain would be absolutely insane. The 660Ti on a single monitor is going to be more than enough. I would actually suggest getting a Radeon 7950 however. For a few dollars more you're going to get a faster card that has more video memory and a very high speed memory bus. The 660Ti has a 192-bit bus whereas the 7950 has a 384-bit bus. The 7950 is a better card, especially when it comes to pushing anti-aliasing settings to the max. The 660Ti will eventually choke because of it's slower memory bus speed where the 7950 will absolutely shine!

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
You're welcome, that's what I do. If you're interested in good cooling and possible overclocking, I suggest looking at this card. If I were to buy a GPU within the next six months or so, I'd buy this myself.

Sapphire Radeon 7950 featuring Vapor-X cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202003&Tpk=Vapor-x%207950

That cooler is absolutely amazing. At stock settings they are almost completely silent in a decent case. I dropped one into a friends system which replaced an aging 460. The performance jump was incredible and the card was actually inaudible for the most part during long sessions of Battlefield 3 together. I was even surprised at just how potent that card was. The cooler is awesome and the performance is excellent. :)