Use ghost to align an xp image

tmichael16

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Hello,

I have a working installation of win xp on a 32-bit Thinkpad 43p, the C drive has been changed out to a 64GB Transcend SSD and there is a secondary 2.5 HD in the optical drive bay.

However the image on the C drive which has all the programs and system is not 4k aligned. I want to take the backup image I make each week with Ghost 15, and restore it to 4k aligned. However I don't see how to get Ghost to run at command line so I can supply any options.

- tmichael.church@gmail.com

Older backup software doesn't recognize 4k drives. Update your backup software. I know Acronis True Image Home 2012 aligns properly as I just recently cloned a drive from a much older drive to a new 4k drive. When I went to run western digitals align tool, it said the drive was already aligned. :)

I haven't used ghost in a while so I don't know what the current version is. I just assumed it was older.

I can't find anywhere on Aconis's web site that states it automatically aligns, but mine did. I guess I should mention that I also have the "plus pack" for true image 2012. I don't know if that makes a difference. Version 2013 is out now and I believe they still offer a fully functional trial software good for 30 days or something.

Ah yes... click the free trial button on right.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

I'm still using Ghost 8, from about 2003. It boots from a floppy, or a thumb drive.

It does _not_ respect alignment; if I do a full-disk restore of my Win7 installation it gets corrupted. But for a partition restore it takes less than a quarter of the time of my properly aligned disk restore software, EASEUS ToDo backup. Okay, maybe I should shell out the bux for a copy of Acronis.

Fifty bucks - boo. Continuous backup as a new feature - yay. Someone send me a (paid-for) license for Christmas.

Now that 2013 is out, look around on newegg and amazon. Acronis will usually discount their previous version for around $20.