Cooling a Radeon 5850

greasy dave

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Hi, I'm in the process of building a new PC and I just bought a Gigabyte HD 5850. I'm looking for tips for a complete beginner on what the air cooling options are out there as an alternative to the stock cooler.

How easy is it to remove the stock cooler and will I void my warranty if I do so?

I'm looking for something that isn't pricey but will cool more quietly and more efficiently than the stock fan.

Doing a web search I found my way to this website
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_&mID=256

Does anyone have any other reccomendations?

Thanks in advance?

Oh yeah, and the rest of the system is going to be:
i7 930
GA X58A UD3R
corsair HX 750W
Fractal design Define R2 (case)
Kingston HyperX 4GB
western digital 1TB black caviar

ben10_85

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Sup Dave

OK not everyone all @ once ! :non:

found this thread that might satisfy your needs regarding the cooling . http://www.overclock.net/ati-cooling/675703-aftermarket-cooling-solutions-ati-hd-5850-a-2.html

I think as long as you dont break anything taking it apart , keep all the bits and put it back together like it was if anything should go wrong , Nobody would know what you were up to?? well thats also if there arnt any seals you have to break!

well hope it helps a bit !

I must say its not something that I would like to do to my GPU

Cheers :hello:

I think you made a mistake with the RAM there, Core i7 9XX series supports Triple channel RAM and you have dual channel RAM

You want either 3 x 1GB, 3 x 2GB or 6 x 2GB

And about your question I've got a 5850 and the stock cooler does really well and is silent 20% fan speed and very quiet at 30% fan speed when im gaming. I think the stock cooler is good enough

ben10_85

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010

My case is well ventilated and with good air flow but during the afternoons(ambient temp 32C) my 5850 idle's @ close to frikkn 60C , right now its @ 46C ambient temp 25C

so I would like to do something to cool my junk down a bit but I wont do that.

I agree with you on keeping a properly cooled case , I'll rather go that route

greasy dave

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah necro thread....I'd thought this one had sunk without trace or replies
:D
Thanks for the advice. I won't even try it then. It wasn't something I had considered until I read some guys talking about it on a local forum.(czech language). I'd throw it out to the community and find out if it's a good or bad idea. Now I know.

I've gone for a CM 690 II advanced case in the end. Added three extra fans- with room for a couple more. So I'm hoping the case will be cool enough.

@ ohmigitfatal. The X58A UD3R is allegedly triple AND dual channel. It states it as being dual channel in the manual and when I wrote and asked Gigabyte for confirmation they assured me it is dual channel..

I've just finished building it, and now have to just throw the switch..so I'll soon find out if they were kidding me.

TBH what I'm more concerned about is the BIOs and the i7 930. Gigabyte have been vague and unclear about my quite straightforward question of will the BIOS 1 on the mobo recognise the i7 930. I'm not sure that their tech support knows. Though I just spotted a new reply in my inbox, so maybe they'll clear it up for me today.

thanks for the feedback.