4gb DDR3 CL8 mem only running at 1600 :(

snowfreeze

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
Hello,
My supertalent ram is only running @ 1600 Mhz. It's rated for 2000. Latest bios. 1055T CPU & gigabyte 890GPA-UD3h rev 2.1 motherboard. Any thoughts, please?
Thanks.

snowfreeze

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
Hey. Thanks for the input. I am at 1.65v for the ram. But that is manufacturer spec. On the motherboard, the setting just above 1.65v (1.66v or something) is in the red zone. I shouldn't have to overclock to get manufacturers specs to work though, right?

Do you guys go by what it states after the bios posts (BEEP) and says ddr3 1600 unganged or do you judge the speed through some other method?

Thanks!

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

No, that's not right. The manufacturer specs the RAM based on what it's capable of. It's up to you to get it up to that speed. Depending on the architecture (and how high you're trying to go) this is as simple as changing one setting in BIOS or as complicated as changing many settings, OCing your CPU, and adding additional heatsinks.

As was mentioned, there's very little performance difference in most applications for each incremental step-up in RAM. There would be a lot less headaches if buyers understood their CPU/motherboards max RAM frequency and the challenges involved in upping that before buying RAM. And money that could be spent on improving real system bottle necks. But we've all done it, buy first and ask how the heck to get it working later!

snowfreeze

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
Hi. Thanks, but what I meant was the manufacturer specifications on the motherboard, cpu and memory all state that they support 2000 mhz ram withOUT overclocking. That is why I am so confused at the advice that I must overclock. Thanks.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
The memory manufacturer can't say that, it doesn't know what machine you're putting it into. The CPUs don't typically specify and motherboards, well it often depends what CPU you're putting it into.

I agree, they don't always say you have to OC to achieve certain speeds and so by omitting that language they allow people to think it's easy and doesn't require an OC.

However, I checked the link you provided to the motherboard. It does say "Delivering native support for DDR3 memory up to 2000MHz" as you mentioned. However on the Specs page it also says "Support for DDR3 2000(OC)" - so to get to 2000 MHz you have to OC the RAM and/or the CPU.

Interesting, the manual states "DDR3 1866(O.C.)/1333/1066 MHz"

Also, if you're RAM is installed in DDR3_1 & DDR3_3 -> try -> DDR3_2 & DDR3_4 ; the reason I mention that is I've seen some Dual Channel GA manuals indicting RAM > 1800 MHz use the 2 | 4 slots {second set}.

If 2000 MHz fails then 'try' 1866.

Good Luck!

snowfreeze

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
Thanks guys. Thanks everybody. I really appreciate you catching the things that I apparently missed like OC and the other two slots and etc... Dang fine print! :(

Oh well, I guess I'm just stuck at 1600 until I can figure out otherwise...

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Could be worse places to be stuck! Since it's rated to run faster, you might be able to run it slower with tighter timings. So while at 1600 you could give timings of 7-7-7-20 a try. Just be sure to keep the V set and then test for stability.

Or you could just say it's running good enough as is and not spend the time trying to squeeze a little more out of the system. Tom's has done write-ups on the Phenom II, and Intel's 1366 and 1156 platforms. In all cases, small steps up in frequency or timing resulted in very little real world differences. Here's their Phenom article if you're interested: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-ddr3,2319.html