Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can't get my corsair ddr3 up to 1600 on a MSI 890GXM-G65

Last response: in Motherboards
October 14, 2010 9:28:09 PM

My board states that It supports 1600 mhz ram when oc'ed but i can't seems to get my current 1600mhz corsair ddr3 to go above 1333mhz. I also have my processor overclocked, and I am confused on what I need to do with the timings etc to get the ram to run as 1600mhz as it should.

The rest of my computer

AMD athlon II X2 240 (clocked at 3.6 ghz)
4 gig corsair 1600 ddr3
tx650 corsair
MSI 890gxm-g65
Hitachi 1 tb hd 7200rpm
dell 22\\\" lcd 1920X1200
6 120 mm case fans
Thermaltake r1 cpu cooler
Thermaltake v3
XFX 5770
Lite-on DVD drive

my motherboard seems fairly capable of doing this so if anyone can point me in the right direction of what ti change in bios I would be greatly appreciative

Thanks
a b V Motherboard
October 15, 2010 3:45:10 AM

I'm not sure of the BIOS on your board, but on helped 'tx-jose' OC his ram (also 1333) to 1600.

I told him to increase the 'BCLK' to increase the ram speed. Nao in doing this his CPU also shot up - so he had to decrease the 'Memory Multiplier' and decrease the 'CPU Multiplier' plus increase the 'QPI Frequency'.

Lol, sorry if it doesn't make any sense xD i'm just about to pass out here =P.

I guess it's sorta like this:
(BLCK + Memory Multiplier) vs (CPU Multiplier + QPI Frequency)

To increase your ram, you have to keep your CPU in ratio. Unless you want to OC that too (the cpu) but better DRAM:QPI ratios, the better your system will perform x).

If this helps any, great! lol if not well i tried =)

m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2010 5:24:09 PM

This all makes sense to me but there are no such parameters (maybe they are named differeently) to make said adjustments. Also I was curious about how to update my bios and how to determine if it is the most current bios or not. However under the cell menu which all the overclocking is done, I dont see BLCK or QPI frequency. Not sure if its named something else or im just being dumb please help if you can. If not let me know what to do to update or confirm my current bios version. Thanks a lot
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
October 15, 2010 5:49:38 PM

Oie, somebody smack me now x.x

i was half-asleep when i posted that last message :lol: 

I did not realize you had an AMD platform based board *face palms self* that would make a difference in how you can't see any of the "QPI" or the "BLCK" lol. Those terms are for Intel based platforms not AMD T-T

However the concept should be the same - just instead of QPI it would be MT/s (or FSB). I believe you will have to tweak with 'HT Link Speed', the 'FSB', increase your 'DRAM Voltage' , and 'FSB/DRAM Ratio' settings.

~( Now feel free to take advice from others on this - i am not an AMD based guy so my knowledge on AMD platforms is not so great lol x) )~

Now as far as determining your BIOS version i found this:

"The items under each BIOS category described in this chapter are under continuous
update for better system performance. Therefore, the description may be slightly different
from the latest BIOS and should be held for reference only.
Upon boot-up, the 1st line appearing after the memory count is the BIOS version. It is usually in the format:

A7642AMS V1.0 020110 where:

1st digit refers to BIOS maker as A = AMI, W = AWARD, and P = PHOENIX.
2nd - 5th digit refers to the model number.
6th digit refers to the chipset as I = Intel, N = NVIDIA, A = AMD and V = VIA.
7th - 8th digit refers to the customer as MS = all standard customers.
V1.0 refers to the BIOS version.
020110 refers to the date this BIOS was released."
October 15, 2010 5:51:47 PM

Best answer selected by jjb8675309.
m
l
October 15, 2010 5:52:37 PM

Gekko Shadow said:
Oie, somebody smack me now x.x

i was half-asleep when i posted that last message :lol: 

I did not realize you had an AMD platform based board *face palms self* that would make a difference in how you can't see any of the "QPI" or the "BLCK" lol. Those terms are for Intel based platforms not AMD T-T

However the concept should be the same - just instead of QPI it would be MT/s (or FSB). I believe you will have to tweak with 'HT Link Speed', the 'FSB', increase your 'DRAM Voltage' , and 'FSB/DRAM Ratio' settings.

~( Now feel free to take advice from others on this - i am not an AMD based guy so my knowledge on AMD platforms is not so great lol x) )~

Now as far as determining your BIOS version i found this:

"The items under each BIOS category described in this chapter are under continuous
update for better system performance. Therefore, the description may be slightly different
from the latest BIOS and should be held for reference only.
Upon boot-up, the 1st line appearing after the memory count is the BIOS version. It is usually in the format:

A7642AMS V1.0 020110 where:

thanks I will look at it again with the amd terminology and report my results

1st digit refers to BIOS maker as A = AMI, W = AWARD, and P = PHOENIX.
2nd - 5th digit refers to the model number.
6th digit refers to the chipset as I = Intel, N = NVIDIA, A = AMD and V = VIA.
7th - 8th digit refers to the customer as MS = all standard customers.
V1.0 refers to the BIOS version.
020110 refers to the date this BIOS was released."

m
l
October 15, 2010 5:54:16 PM

also what kind of voltage increase should i be looking to do on the dram?>
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 15, 2010 5:56:03 PM

:lol:  thanks mate, now just to add: here's a link to the BIOS updates for your board.

Linky hurr~!

Now I'm sure there's no need to update your BIOS, but it never hurt to be ready lol. If it ain't broke don't fix it x)!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 15, 2010 5:56:49 PM

jjb8675309 said:
also what kind of voltage increase should i be looking to do on the dram?>

What is the stock voltage on your ram right now?
m
l
October 15, 2010 6:10:14 PM

well i failed to see what it was but the dram voltage is locked on auto and i can't seem to change it. I just fiddled around with other setting trying to get the voltage to unlock (or go from auto to manual ) to no avail. Therefore i cannot change the dram voltage. In the meantime I ask myself, is there any actual real world performance (in games) to be gained from 1600 mhz ddr3 vs 1333mhz. I have heard through the grapevine that there is little to no difference, we're talking a frame per second difference if at all, is this true? I know the faster ram would probly decrease load times, but of actually in game performance is there any to be had by oc'ing to 1600mhz?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 15, 2010 6:20:23 PM

Honestly, no. The difference is not something you'd have to kill for (maybe a Klondike bar? :lol: ).

Usually the reason why people OC it is for:
1. Bragging rights
2. Benchmarks
3. Just that bored (this is me xD)
4. Try to reach a 1:1 ratio (also me xD)
5. Never done it before and want to experiment
6. Gaming (You say you need it - but it's more of a want Cx )

If you have a strong stable and solid system for gaming, a jump from 1333mhz to 1600mhz will not give you an eye-to-eye difference. Both speeds are already high enough for gaming. Pretty much anything hitting 1000mhz is already good (compared to old skewl DDR, or DDR2 667Mhz xP).

m
l
October 15, 2010 7:04:33 PM

Gekko Shadow said:
Honestly, no. The difference is not something you'd have to kill for (maybe a Klondike bar? :lol: ).

Usually the reason why people OC it is for:
1. Bragging rights
2. Benchmarks
3. Just that bored (this is me xD)
4. Try to reach a 1:1 ratio (also me xD)
5. Never done it before and want to experiment
6. Gaming (You say you need it - but it's more of a want Cx )

If you have a strong stable and solid system for gaming, a jump from 1333mhz to 1600mhz will not give you an eye-to-eye difference. Both speeds are already high enough for gaming. Pretty much anything hitting 1000mhz is already good (compared to old skewl DDR, or DDR2 667Mhz xP).

makes sense, I think I will give it a rest, the only way im improving my performance at this point is going to a quad core and grabbing another 5770, thanks for your help and insight
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 15, 2010 8:59:06 PM

Not a problem =) glad i could help.

another thing you can also do is search (or ask other users) who have the same board if they were able to OC their ram and how. They might not have used the same RAM as yours, but maybe they were able to tweak it a little farther.

Then you can take their advice and you can try tweaking on your own. Trial and error is the oldest method in the books x)

If you need anything feel free to let me know mate! =)
m
l
Related resources
!