Install XP/raid-0/Asus P7P55D Premium MB

G

Can anyone advise how to install XP on a raid-0 array using a P7P55D Prem motherboard. I've done it a thousand times using different MBs - but this board does not have a floppy connector on it :( . The USB floppies don't seem to work during the XP install process. I like playing some older games that don't work well with my WIN7-32 so wanted to do a dual OS boot with WIN7 & XP. Thanks for any help you can give!

Solution
nLite has a lot of options you do not need, especially if you haven't used it before.
-- Copy your XP CD to a folder (MyXP for example)
-- As Jaquith linked, get sp3 and save it to a folder (sp3, for example).
-- Extract your RAID driver from the motherboard CD (or the mob's support website) to another folder (RAID driver, for example).

-- On open nLite, browse to the folder MyXP (the folders and files you copied from your original XP CD).
-- After nLite finds the folders/files, it will open the Task Selection: click on Service Pack, Drivers, and Bootable ISO.

The next screen allows you to choose sp3, you may have to browse to the folder you saved it.

The next screen is Drivers. Choose Insert single driver and browse to...
G

Thanks for the advise. Do you have detailed info for using the nLite. I'm unfamiliar with this software. I've made several attempts using the nLite to add the raid drivers, then burning a new disk. Keep getting a blue screen each time when trying to use the modified OS disk after it loads the installation drivers.

G

Maybe I'm over my head with this. I've followed the instructions with the exception of copying into the $oem$ file. I do not have software to edit that file type. Every attempt to make a modified XP disk with the nLite has finished with the same result - blue screen. Thanks for your time and help!

nLite has a lot of options you do not need, especially if you haven't used it before.
-- Copy your XP CD to a folder (MyXP for example)
-- As Jaquith linked, get sp3 and save it to a folder (sp3, for example).
-- Extract your RAID driver from the motherboard CD (or the mob's support website) to another folder (RAID driver, for example).

-- On open nLite, browse to the folder MyXP (the folders and files you copied from your original XP CD).
-- After nLite finds the folders/files, it will open the Task Selection: click on Service Pack, Drivers, and Bootable ISO.

The next screen allows you to choose sp3, you may have to browse to the folder you saved it.

The next screen is Drivers. Choose Insert single driver and browse to the folder with your RAID driver and click on that file. You will have to choose the driver you want: ICH8R.

When that is done, nLite will ask you if you want to start the process. Choose yes. nLite will create a bootable iso image. Then it will ask you if you want to burn the image to disk. Choose yes, and insert a clean CD or CDRW into your ODD. nLite will burn the image. When it is complete you can use that disk to install XP on your boards' RAID volume.

Solution
G

Jaquith - Thank you for the advise on this issue. I have many floppy drives lying around my computer room. My P7P55D Premium does not have a floppy connection on the board and a USB floppy doesn't seem to work with the XP install. Thanks again for your time and help!

A USB Floppy can work; refer to page 118 there's a detailed explanation.

"Due to OS limitation, Windows® XP may not recognize the USB floppy disk drive when you install the RAID driver from a floppy disk during the OS installation.
To solve this issue, add the USB floppy disk drive’s Vendor ID (VID) and Product ID (PID) to the floppy disk containing the RAID driver."

{I noticed that your MOBO had a non specific IDE and looked no further}

Good Luck!

G

OK.....found what causes the blue screen when installing the XP. In the P7P55D Premium Bios the storage selection has three choices: 1) IDE 2) RAID 3) ACHI . If you choose anything other than IDE mode you get a blue screen during the XP installation. The nLite disk will work as well as the original XP disk in IDE mode, but either disk will blue screen if you choose raid or achi mode for the storage mode. Any idea about the cause?

You will have to set the RAID array in the BIOS, including defining the volume, its type (1 or 0), and the member disks before you install XP from your nLite image on the bootable CD.
-- Open the BIOS
-- Go the Disk screen, select RAID.
-- Save and Close.
-- Upon restart, open the BIOS.
-- You'll see a new screen to set up the RAI, access it by pressing Ctrl+I.
-- Define your array type and the volume, including the member disk.
-- Save and close.
-- Boot to the nLite-created XP install CD.
-- Load XP onto the RAID volume.

^Isn't that pretty much what was said from the get go?

The OP clearly is not adding the RAID Controller Drivers {ICH8R} correctly. I get nLite can be a pain, and the OP will, I assume, get stuck w/o those RAID divers. Therefore, the FDD was suggested, but that too is a pain to configure.

G

Hey Treefrog07,
There isn't a problem making the raid-0 array and setting up the bios settings for raid use. That part is easy. Already setup the raid-0 array. The problem is; if I set the bios to raid instead of ide the install will blue screen before it gets to the disk selection in the XP install process. It doesn't matter if I use the nLite disk or OEM XP disk. Again thanks for your time and effort with this!

G

Hey Jaquith,

I suspect it might be a different problem other than the XP install not finding the raid drivers. With other hardware setups in the past if I forgot to F6 when the XP installation starts it would continue without a blue screen. It would have a screen that says " no hard drives were found" when it didn't find raid drivers. That's what makes me think it is a problem associated with the P7P55 Premium board and the XP os. Thanks for your efforts with this problem!

dynodav

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Hey Jaquith and Treefrog07,

Just wanted to say thank you for your time and effort trying to help. Finally found the Blue Screen cause. A big mistake on my part. I was using a sata dvd rom for the XP installation. Once I disconnected it and installed a IDE dvd rom the installation process worked flawlessly. Thank you very much for pointing me to the nLite software - it worked great! :)