Borderlands issues (PC)

G

First, my XFX radeon 4890 has dynamic shadow issues, my settings are 1920x1080 16xaf and all settings on highest or on, but if i turn on dynamic shadows, fps drops from straight 60 (vsync) to 30~50

second issue is that when i open my quest log, i try to accomplish my goal, lets say i need to kill 10 monsters, i've already killed 2, all it shows is 2??, instead of 2/10

heres a pic
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5328/borderlands201002150652.png

I need help!!!!

G

I previously had an nvidia card, gt220, and i had 30 to 50 fps, 1280x720 all settings to high or on, no af with dynamic shadows ON...i turned it off, i didn't gain any fps..

i also need help with the second issue

G

Well, 4890 is a beast, it cant even handle dynamic shadows??
I get the same performance when i turn everything else to the lowest and off, even the resolution to 640x480, i only get 35 to 55 fps with dynamic shadow ON.
I know borderlands is an nvidia base card, but why does 8800gt works better than a 4890 in this game?

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
its because borderlands was made with NVIDIA architecture in mind. dynamic shadows just happen to run almost without a hitch on nvidia cards because of that. as for your mission problems, all i can say is uninstall and reinstall to see if that fixes it. otherwise your sol

A 4890 should really have no problems maxing out Borderlands. Borderlands is a game that isn't exactly graphically intensive...I've seen 4870s max out FarCry2 at 1080p with high AA, and Borderlands is less graphically intensive than that.

As others have stated, I'd say it's probably a residual driver issue.

Also, what is your CPU? You might have a CPU bottleneck.

G

quad core 2.5gz

G

Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q8300 2.5Ghz

I used driver sweeper.

G

Bump,

no solution, its laggy with dynamic shadows but i need them to play or otherwise it looks terrible

G

I just got my 4890 for a month
i should of got a nvidia card but
thats not the solution to get another more powerful card

G

Nope that won't happen, I love borderlands though

mwr204

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
For what its woth, I have the frame rate drop as well when dynamic shadows are enabled. Note that I have a GTX 275. This issue is fairly well documented on the Gear Box forums as well as the Steam Borderlands forum. What's really strange about this issue is that it effects all different kinds of set ups/OSs etc. Any one out there with any ideas?