Toshiba 225CDS/ FORGOT PASSWORD.... Help!?!?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2004 9:20:31 AM

cant get past boot screen. what can I do???? anyone?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2004 5:40:39 PM

>cant get past boot screen. what can I do???? anyone?

Next time steal one that's not password protected. Or inquire here:

http://www.littlepeoplepartysupplies.com/
August 23, 2004 10:42:52 PM

AndrewJ <andrewj@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<ib0fi0tvk90dpdu12anohjarfta1r8tbee@4ax.com>...
> >cant get past boot screen. what can I do???? anyone?
>
> Next time steal one that's not password protected. Or inquire here:
>
> http://www.littlepeoplepartysupplies.com/

LOL...AndrewJ

If it's a power-on password only, this is very simple. Get your models
hardware service manual and it will tell you how this is done.
Basically, you'll be removing the CMOS battery...this cleans the slate
for power-on passwords only! If you have a HDD password and Admin
password {that you also forgot} uh-huh!! you have a much bigger
journey ahead of you. And it doesn't begin here :-)

Rain
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2004 7:05:36 AM

On 23 Aug 2004 18:42:52 -0700, rainshadow@canada.com (Rain) wrote:

:>AndrewJ <andrewj@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<ib0fi0tvk90dpdu12anohjarfta1r8tbee@4ax.com>...
:>> >cant get past boot screen. what can I do???? anyone?
:>>
:>> Next time steal one that's not password protected. Or inquire here:
:>>
:>> http://www.littlepeoplepartysupplies.com/
:>
:>LOL...AndrewJ
:>
:>If it's a power-on password only, this is very simple. Get your models
:>hardware service manual and it will tell you how this is done.
:>Basically, you'll be removing the CMOS battery...this cleans the slate
:>for power-on passwords only! If you have a HDD password and Admin
:>password {that you also forgot} uh-huh!! you have a much bigger
:>journey ahead of you. And it doesn't begin here :-)
:>
:>Rain

One more time! There has NEVER been a Toshiba laptop built that removing
the RTC (CMOS) battery will clear a power on password. There are a number
of different hardware solutions depending on the model. Anywhere from a
simple parallel port loopback to shorting a couple of pins in the area of
the ram socket (most Compal built models are this way) to a very expensive
special pcmcia to parallel adapter that also requires the parallel port
loopback. There have been a few models that require a phone call to ASP
support after booting from a special disk, getting a code on the screen,
reading the code off to them and getting a code back that will clear the
password. The password is stored in non-volatile ram (NVRAM) in all models.

me/2
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2004 8:18:32 AM

No .....

For the umteenth time, it's been over a decade since MOST laptops
stopped storing their passwords in battery backed memory. Since the
early 1990's, most of them are stored in flash memory, and removing the
battery is an exercise in futility. There are a few exceptions, mostly
486 and earlier, but the 225 is a pentium laptop, and I know that
removing the battery won't clear the password in that model.

Toshiba passwords can be cleared, but in the interst of not helping
theives, I'm not going to pass on the techniques. However, the 225 is
an old enough laptop (I think it's a Pentium 133) that it's unlikely to
have been stolen at this point (well, stolen from the trash, perhaps).
However the techniques are the same for quite a range of Toshiba models.

!