Sign in with
Your question

Is this a good combo for gaming?

Last response: in Systems
February 27, 2010 2:48:52 AM

Hi, I'm looking to put together a PC for gaming mostly. I've built a computer about 5 years ago and had to do a fair amount of research before I felt comfortable enough doing it. I am kind of looking for a more hassle free method this time and I came across a combo on Newegg that looked good to me at first glance.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?It...

I would really like to hear from you if this is a decent combination of products and whether they are compatible. I've been reading the site for the last couple of days, and from what little I've learned, the combo looks ok to me.
Are there any glaring problems with this combo? Am I shortchanging myself if I decide to get this? If you guys think so, I'll bite the bullet and spend more time looking into a build.
Here are some of the things I'm looking for:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next month or so. I'm on spring break so I have some time to look into things now, and hopefully start building it.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming mostly, movies, general use. Looking forward to playing Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 and some newer RPGs and FPS games.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.ca for now. Maybe Tigerdirect if I find better deals there. Somewhere that ships to Canada.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference really, just want to get the best bang for my buck. Probably wont upgrade any time soon.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Don't know, I'd like to get a new decent one. I have an old 17" lcd that probably won't look great with newer games.

Any input would be appreciated. Please let me know if I'll face any problems with the combo I linked.

More about : good combo gaming

February 27, 2010 3:12:37 AM

seems like a good build to me
the two 5770 GPUs will be nice for high performance gaming.
the high clock rate of the cpu will also insure that there is no bottlenecking either. Its also a good OC processor
Power Supply should be more than adequate for what you need. If you change anything, you can always use this to check if your PSU has enough power
http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html

if your in no hurry, i'd wait until Nvidia releases their latest GPUs. At the very least it might change the price of AMDs offerings, if not replace your choice for graphics cards.

as for monitor, i'd get a >20" monitor w/ at least 1920x1080 resolution. your current configuration can more than handle that
February 27, 2010 3:23:37 AM

Thank you so much arges86! Are the new Nvidia GPUs expected within the next few months?
Related resources
February 27, 2010 3:50:34 PM

Can anyone else let me know what they think about this combo?
a b 4 Gaming
February 27, 2010 4:03:43 PM

Like all "kits" it has some good stuff and some not so good stuff.

memory is CAS only 9....HD is only 5900 rpm

At $1200 price point, I'd go Intel.
February 27, 2010 4:09:31 PM

I would not go with that combo, you could get a better performing system choosing individual components by yourself.

February 27, 2010 4:12:51 PM

Yeh, you might even be better of with a single 5870 for 400$ as oppsosed to xfire 5770. Also, get a seagate 7200.12 1tb, and a hyper 212, and the haf 922 instaed of the 932.
!