Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Removed virus,now slow?

Last response: in Windows XP
October 25, 2012 9:15:04 PM

Hi. My friend had the fbi virus thing on his computer and also had no antivurus software running (ugghh I know)So here's the thing,I used malwarebytes and superantispyware and got rid of a lot of things. I tried running security essentials and it would not update. So I tried the micro trend house call and it found nothing. Then I tried a free trial of norton 360 and it found 4 viruses. The problem with 360 is it really bogged the system down. (win xp,prof,old proc with 512 of ram) So I tried security essentials again and it worked up until halfway through the scan it said it could not continue for some reason. It also turned itself off. The other odd thing is the clock keeps switching back to random times no matter how many times I fix it. The computer is up to date with windows though and I also get this pop up on the tool bar that says my Internet is running at 1meg? I have about 30 normally on my rig. So what do you think I should do,besides donate the computer to a landfill?

More about : removed virus slow

a b 8 Security
October 25, 2012 9:35:12 PM

With a machine that infected it's better to cut your losses. Back up important data and wipe the drive. Follow that with a clean installation and data restore.
m
l
October 25, 2012 10:00:20 PM

Yes I agree,however he does not have the xp disc :( 
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b 8 Security
October 25, 2012 10:07:28 PM

In that case.

1. Remove the drive
2. Attach the drive externally to a known clean machine
3. Scan and clean the drive.
4. Reinstall the drive and see if things improve.

Ideally you'd want to scan the drive with at least 3 different AV and Malware scanners (no single scanner is 100% effective)
October 26, 2012 2:16:07 AM

OK thank you
m
l
November 2, 2012 1:01:24 AM

Best answer selected by bigpympin.
m
l
November 7, 2012 9:04:57 AM

bigpympin said:
Hi. My friend had the fbi virus thing on his computer and also had no antivurus software running (ugghh I know)So here's the thing,I used malwarebytes and superantispyware and got rid of a lot of things. I tried running security essentials and it would not update. So I tried the micro trend house call and it found nothing. Then I tried a free trial of norton 360 and it found 4 viruses. The problem with 360 is it really bogged the system down. (win xp,prof,old proc with 512 of ram) So I tried security essentials again and it worked up until halfway through the scan it said it could not continue for some reason. It also turned itself off. The other odd thing is the clock keeps switching back to random times no matter how many times I fix it. The computer is up to date with windows though and I also get this pop up on the tool bar that says my Internet is running at 1meg? I have about 30 normally on my rig. So what do you think I should do,besides donate the computer to a landfill?

:hello:  Hello friends,

I generally suggest you that you try to use VRS (virus removal support) antivirus. I am also use this antivirus. It is faster and not reduce PC speed.

Try to use it.

www[dot]virusremovalsupport[dot]co[dot]uk
:bounce:  :bounce: 
m
l
!