Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking XFX HD7770

Last response: in Overclocking
December 16, 2012 7:56:40 PM

Hi there,

I already own an XFX HD7770 DD Cooling Black Edition Super OC and was thinking about getting another after Christmas, but finding the same "Overclocked" card is proving to be quite difficult here in the UK, however I can find the exact same card without the overclock.
Am i right in assuming I can just overclock the new card in CCC to exactly the same speeds as my overclocked card and simply run it since its the same hardware?

-SublimeOrangeUK
December 17, 2012 12:27:38 AM

Ive read some other forums with a similar question and from what i saw your set up should work. although you will average out the performance in between the two cards, because one is slower than the other (no the performance of your OC card will NOT dip down to that of the regular, but it will not be as high as it is now)

I believe that is it possible to get a higher card to crossfire with your 7770 like a 7850 but, that also depends what speed is your pci-e slot? (the secondary)

because the regular slot wehre your 7770 sits now is 16x but if the other slot that you would put another vid card into is 4x then it's really not worth it, would be better to try invest in single card upgrade (now gets expensive).

What motherboard do you have?
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 17, 2012 12:34:17 AM

As long as they are the same video card, the clock speeds don't matter.
They will run at the speed of the lowest clocked card.

Still no reason not to overclock them BOTH however!
Related resources
December 17, 2012 5:54:27 AM

Board is an MSI Z77A-G45 w/ i5 2500k@4.2Ghz
December 17, 2012 9:48:32 AM

the board does have 2x 16x slots for 3.0 and 1x for the 16x for 2.0 so i think you should be good without having to loose a masss amount of performance with crossfire. just have to choose right card now :) 

I dont crossfire i like things simple... so i cant help much with that as you can see from my previous post xD
!