P6X58D-E and SSD issue

drswaity

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Hi there,

I just bought the P6X58D-E and Corsair Force 120 SSD yesterday and after getting windows finally up and running i've discovered an issue. When I restart the computer no problems but if I shut down and boot back up it will say no boot media. If I go into the bios and look at the boot order the SSD is listed as #1. I save and exit and then it boots normally until I shut down again.

I've done some searching on forums but havn't come across someone who discribes the problem like this. Any suggestions? Also are there any steps to take when using an SSD for the first time? I hear you should disable scheduled defrag on the drive.

Also, if anyone has this mobo can you recommend any tips for BIOS setup that would be really appreciated as well. I have an i7 950 and 12gb of corsair xms3 ram.

Thanks in advance!

**Edit - Figured this may be of use: the SSD is connected to the first of the SATA3 connectors and the DVD drive is connected to the second on the regular SATA ports. I'll be putting in my data drive into the first regular SATA point some time, but right now it is empty.

^ Did you figure it out yet?

You should put your Corsair Force 120 SSD on SATA1, and your DVD on SATA3 or SATA6 {upwards facing}. Leaving SATA2 second SSD/RAID 0 or SATA6 if you have HDDs {SATA 3 + SATA4/RAID 1}. Don't put your DVD on SATA_6G_1 or SATA_6G_2.

BIOS:
Use AHCI {make certain you have the driver} and verify your Windows registry.
Use D.O.C.P. and manually set your RAM: Speed, CAS timings, and DRAM Voltage {never use XMP}
If you are using ~ Corsair H50/H70 then have the CPU_FAN run at 100%/Full Speed.

Hopr this helps!

BTW - I have 9 P6X58D-E, SSD {OS + Apps} and 1TB RAID 1 {Data} - the MOBO works great!

drswaity

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Thanks for the reply,

I went home at lunch and played a bit more before your reponse.

I had the SATA set to IDE (oops!) and changed it to AHCI and now the boot problem seems to be gone, however after I did that Windows failed to boot, it kept restarting me into the system restore but that failed every time. I formatted, installed windows, and started the updates and headed to work.

Should I move the SSD from the SATA_6G_1 to just SATA1? Its currently on the 6G, and altho my drive is only 3g I thought I read somewhere you get a slight increase still running on the 6G.

For the AHCI driver is this what I want (description from driver download from asus website):
Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager Driver V8.9.0.1023 for Windows 32/64bit XP & Windows 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.(WHQL) Intel(R) AHCI/RAID Driver Disk for Windows 32/64bit XP & Windows 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.
Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager Driver V8.9.0.1023 for Windows 32/64bit XP & Windows 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.(WHQL)
Intel(R) AHCI/RAID Driver Disk for Windows 32/64bit XP & Windows 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.

Thanks!!

Install your SATA2 SSD on the SATA2 ports. Setting it as IDE wouldn't effect what you are describing. Also, all of those drivers listed above are SATA2 drivers.

Once you move the drives to the SATA2 ports and if Windows fails the boot off the Windows installer DVD and run Repair via F8.

You shouldn't need to reinstall. There are SATA3 Marvell drivers that you'd need if you keep the SSD where it is now, but the faster is not true. I looked up your SSD and it is SATA2.