Grounding yourself during build

threesixteen

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
What's the best way to ground yourself while building a system and handling electrostatic sensitive parts? I work with circuit packs all the time at work and we wear grounding wrist straps that attach to specified grounding points, but what does someone building a system at home do? I know most people don't give it a second thought, but believe me it can cause failures and even a delayed (latent) failure. Any good tips for keeping your parts safe at home?

p1n3apqlexpr3ss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Connect it to the case,
Youre right, i didnt give it much of a second thought putting together a build for a friend with a p925, gt240 and m4a77td all in a thermaltake soprana case i think it was and it worked completly fine from the moment i hit the power button :)

threesixteen

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
The case would still need to be grounded. I don't beleive it would be considered an effective ground. However, if the power supply was installed in the case and plugged in that might be a different story.

I admit to not taking this precaution with pasts builds and upgrades, but I'm preparing to build a system that is costing a bit of $$$ and I want to make sure I have no problems.

threesixteen

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Yes power supply plugged in and definitely OFF. If you grounded yourself to the case after that I would imagine that would create and effective ground. I will go that route. Thanks for the discussion. :)