Grounding yourself during build

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 27, 2010 5:58:23 AM

What's the best way to ground yourself while building a system and handling electrostatic sensitive parts? I work with circuit packs all the time at work and we wear grounding wrist straps that attach to specified grounding points, but what does someone building a system at home do? I know most people don't give it a second thought, but believe me it can cause failures and even a delayed (latent) failure. Any good tips for keeping your parts safe at home?

More about : grounding build

a b B Homebuilt system
February 27, 2010 6:03:39 AM

You said it. ESD cuff. Sometimes a pain in the ass, but entirely worth it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Between me and you, sometimes I just keep a hand on my case if I'm doing something quick in there. But, for a full build or anything serious, I cuff it. :) 
February 27, 2010 6:05:47 AM

No problem bringing a wrist strap home from work, but what would I use for a grounding point at home?
Related resources
February 27, 2010 6:08:59 AM

Connect it to the case,
Youre right, i didnt give it much of a second thought putting together a build for a friend with a p925, gt240 and m4a77td all in a thermaltake soprana case i think it was and it worked completly fine from the moment i hit the power button :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
February 27, 2010 6:12:17 AM

I usually clip to the chassis inside, but any grounded metal will work.
February 27, 2010 6:15:06 AM

The case would still need to be grounded. I don't beleive it would be considered an effective ground. However, if the power supply was installed in the case and plugged in that might be a different story.

I admit to not taking this precaution with pasts builds and upgrades, but I'm preparing to build a system that is costing a bit of $$$ and I want to make sure I have no problems.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 27, 2010 6:18:30 AM

I have always left my PSU's off, yet plugged in. Maybe not the best idea, I don't honestly know, but I don't think I've ever had an ESD issue before.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 27, 2010 2:52:51 PM

Rubber soled shoes on carpet would be a bad thing.

Of course, you can always add a ground wire to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_foil_hat

I have never worn a strap in over 100 builds....wooden table, bare feet, tile floor (nuthin to build static) PSU plugged in and off.
February 27, 2010 5:16:55 PM

Yes power supply plugged in and definitely OFF. If you grounded yourself to the case after that I would imagine that would create and effective ground. I will go that route. Thanks for the discussion. :) 
!