Toshiba Toggle Mode Flash questons

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
hi i was wondering and i looked this up on toshibas website but could not find it. was wondering what the big difference besides that toggle nand dos'nt use a clock signal. i was wonder if sychronus nand was a bit faster then toggle nand. i wanna say i read that somewheres but cant rember for certain

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
yes it does look that way however i think i might of read toggle nand has a lower speed or less channles not sure wich if thats true then 60gb drive having less nand might not be to good? however i know a 120gb with toggle nand would be best but cant afford that.

does anyone know if toggle nand has less channles or less speed then sycronos even though toggle is syncronus but onfi or somthin

I am comparing the Samsung 830 SSD with the Intel 520 Cherryville and the Samsung uses toggle nand but thier own inhouse controller , while Intel is using Syncronus nand and the sandforce controller. Samsung 520 read/400 write , Intel 550 read/520 write so while they are similar in the reads there is a big difference in the writes. Could be because of the Sandforce controller. Now the Mushkin Chronos uses toggle nand and the Sandforce controller and they have the same read/writes as the Intel but over $100 cheaper. (240gb)

For those who are looking at Inel's 5 year warranty should read the warranty or should I say limited warranty.

5 years limited
All Intel SSD 520 products sold in the OEM boxes have a five-year limited warranty term; however, the warranty includes a "Media Wearout" limitation. The Media Wearout limitation provides that the warranty shall expire when the usage of the drive has reached a predetermined usage limit established by Intel, which could result in a warranty term much shorter than five years for drives used in heavy-use, enterprise applications. The Media Wearout is determined by Intel's implementation of the SMART attribute "E9" Media Wearout indicator (as measured by and shown in the Intel SSD Toolbox, www.intel.com/go/ssdtoolbox). At any point during the warranty term, if the Media Wearout Indicator reads "1", as measured by the Intel SSD Toolbox, then the drive has reached its wear limit and the Limited Warranty at that point expires, regardless of how much time may have been remaining on the five-year term. This Media Wearout limitation is imposed due to the greater workload demands of enterprise/data center deployment on SSDs.