Sign in with
Your question

I hate window's 7 wordpad

Last response: in Windows 7
October 20, 2011 5:21:01 AM

Hello,
I have a toshiba mini notebook that came with preinstalled windows 7. I hate what MS has done to wordpad. Can I get a copy of windows xp and some how override this peice of dog dung. I've used wordpad for everything. I could choke MS for doing this

More about : hate window wordpad

a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2011 7:08:54 AM

cgm1955 said:
Hello,
I have a toshiba mini notebook that came with preinstalled windows 7. I hate what MS has done to wordpad. Can I get a copy of windows xp and some how override this peice of dog dung. I've used wordpad for everything. I could choke MS for doing this

You are not alone re the Win7 Version. I am not recommending this procedure, but here is what a former VISTA user did, and said it worked.
Note I said VISTA, not XP

You need the old vista wordpad.exe file and the old wordpad.exe.mui file. Copy the wordpad.exe file to the C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsNT\Accessories directory. It will ask you if you want to over-write the exsisting file, choose the last option to have both files there. Do the same for wordpad.exe.mui in the C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsNT\Accessories\en-US directory. Now rename both vista files the same way I used wordvista.exe and wordvista.exe.mui. Then copy a link from the wordvista.exe file to your desktop and it should work!

You can do the same with the vista mspaint.exe and mspaint.exe.mui files (find them in the vista system32 and system32\en-US directories) to avoid complication I just put them in the accessories folder with the wordpads after renaming them too.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2011 7:37:00 AM

So what annoys you about Wordpad in W7, exactly?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2011 7:53:23 AM

DONT USE IT lol seriously, there are other apps out there and free ones, xp came with wordpad along with vista so i dont know what the point of this thread!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2011 8:47:39 AM

I think the new wordpad is an improvement over the older version. But that is personal preference.

Also, are you sure you haven't mixed up wordpad and notepad?

But for serious word editing, you will need something like MS Words or OpenOffice.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2011 8:50:09 AM

U have to get used to it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2011 9:11:52 AM

nikorr said:
Notepad++ is one alternative : )

http://www.filehippo.com/download_notepad/

+1
i use notepad++ too :) 
ctrl+click editing, tabbed document browsing, portable mode, loads of editing options and no annoying ribbon.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2011 9:17:36 AM

Exactly for these features..... "and no annoying ribbon" u can hide it : )

/speedy monster, that is./
m
l
October 20, 2011 10:01:21 AM

120340,8,1006095 said:
+1

I also used. ;) 
m
l
November 1, 2011 5:53:47 AM

fowang said:
DONT USE IT lol seriously, there are other apps out there and free ones, xp came with wordpad along with vista so i dont know what the point of this thread!

Hey...........Maybe I'm not as tech savy as you Mr. Arrogant. I've tried to change this for a while as stated by other users about getting a copy of Vista and all that but it won't let me overide the wordpad.exe. So thank you for your smart ass remark.

m
l
November 1, 2011 5:58:03 AM

Pyree said:
I think the new wordpad is an improvement over the older version. But that is personal preference.

Also, are you sure you haven't mixed up wordpad and notepad?

But for serious word editing, you will need something like MS Words or OpenOffice.

I am not a serious editng freek. I like the old wordpad. I cant stand this wrap around/ ribbon thing. I'm not a techno geek but, I do alright for myself!
m
l
November 1, 2011 6:01:06 AM

de5_Roy said:
+1
ctrl+click editing, tabbed document browsing, portable mode, loads of editing options and no annoying ribbon.

Using notepad does not allow you to insert collums & rows. I use the old word pad instead of using Excel.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2011 6:15:58 AM

Well, you have to get used to it cause Office Word 2007 and newer version use ribbon. Unless you are going to avoid Word in the future.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2011 9:44:51 AM

The ribbon can be hidden simply by double-clicking on one of its tabs. This works for all products that use the ribbon interface.

But seriously, get used to it. It's not going away any time soon.
m
l
!