Computer Fan Controller Survey

Done,
Yeah but Muffin, I have nearly thirty fans on my rig, I wouldn't mind a programmable controller or two to manage them :)
program in your different speeds for different fans, save the preset and boom, gaming,surfing,moviemode all at your delicate little touch
I'm also available to give them a full testing and review if they come to life :)
Moto

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

Thirty fans? I don't even know what kind of smart-ass comment to make about this...

You would have to be familiar with his setup, a smart-ass comment is not relevant, I have 14 fans myself and that's only because I'm not running a push/pull setup on my rads and heat sinks, just pull setups.

Moto, has a RadBox accompanying his main machine.

@PurpleSh4rk,

Bryan as was suggested above, I'm totally not interested in a programmable controller, the more you add to a fan controller the more can go wrong.

Some missing questions could be how important is a fan controllers load capability?

Do you prefer the fan speed being individually potentiometer controlled?

How many fans can the controller even support?

Are you after bling and show, or serious business, or both, when it comes to a fan controller?

Would you like to have optional mounting locations besides a drive bay opening?

Would interchangeable colored face plates be of interest?

Would the fan controllers power source have multiple connection options for the more powerful fans, like getting power from an unused PCI-E or Motherboard cable?

Your survey is quite incomplete IMO, seems more BIAS leaning towards a PWM fan controller, and totally bypassing the power needs some of us running over 10 fans require!

Or controlling high static pressure fans.

My rig is very cool (Tempswise at least and I think it looks awesome :p), and very quiet,
its called over-radding in W/c circles but I've P.m.'d you further details so as not to clog this thread up :)
Moto

PurpleSh4rk

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

That's good feedback. The initial idea for me was a PWM controller because there are already a ton of variable resistance fan controllers out there. But you did remind me that a lot of those controllers cannot support much load. The controller I am after is more functional than anything. I want to keep it as simple and functional as possible while still making the price attractive for people. Interchangeable face plates could definitely be a possibility. In terms of power, I'm sure an auxiliary power connector can be built in. For someone with a setup like yours, is it necessary for you to control each fan individually or would say 5 control knobs each controlling a zone of fans work for you?

My three current 8channel controllers have 'bank' switches allowing me to turn four fans on or off, but they all have their own rotary knob,
I like the idea of setting a bank to say half power and then one touch/switch/button controlling those four fans together,
in olden wiring I'd say it would be like a tree, one large pot controls the voltage to four smaller branches but each branch has its own pot as well so even if the small pots are on full, they are still limited by the 'master' pot further up the chain, the small ones can only provide 100% of the current the large pot allows through,
one issue with that may be starting voltages for fans, too low and some fans won't spin, so maybe a small boost at startup to kick them off?
Moto