Onboard Graphics Failure. Any Risks?

eaw2539

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I just recently built a basic PC for my brother. We started basic, and left plenty of room for upgrades so he will eventually have a decent gaming PC. Unfortunately, the motherboard came with faulty onboard graphics. I put in a decade old graphics card I had laying around for the time being, and it works, albiet not as well a the onboard would have. This isn't a huge issue though because we plan to get a good GPU in less than a month. That being said, we don't feel like dealing with returning it to Fry's, especially because it was the only one they had in stock when we bought it.

My question is, will running a motherboard with faulty onboard graphics compromise any other components of the motherboard? Is it necessary to get a new one, even though we don't need the onboard graphics?

Thanks.

Solution
I would burn it. burn it to the ground. along with the gpu.

lol - no not really. Do like everyone else has stated - return it or RMA it. Of course, it's only a suggestion so you don't have to return it. Everything else should work fine. So technically it's "not" necessary, but it sure as hell is useful.

"Oh no the video card doesn't seem to be working!"
"Let's test the on-board Vid-oh wait. Nvm. I never returned it. *facepalm*"

lol, i'm just saying x)
I would also return the motherboard. One problem you may have though is have you activated Windows on the faulty motherboard? Unless you get an identical motherboard you won’t be able to use your current Windows installation and Microsoft may not let you activate your copy of Windows on a new motherboard.

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I would burn it. burn it to the ground. along with the gpu.

lol - no not really. Do like everyone else has stated - return it or RMA it. Of course, it's only a suggestion so you don't have to return it. Everything else should work fine. So technically it's "not" necessary, but it sure as hell is useful.

"Oh no the video card doesn't seem to be working!"
"Let's test the on-board Vid-oh wait. Nvm. I never returned it. *facepalm*"

lol, i'm just saying x)

Solution