SanDisk Extreme 120gb 24nm toggle nand

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
hi, i was wondering since this sandisk extreame 120gb is so new it came out last month. not many reviews on it however the reviews they did have looked promissing but i was wondeering if and if so would that drive as the firmware matures since its new would it get better speeds over time with newer firmware if so i wonder what the typical perfoormance boost is if anyone has experiance with a ssd and firmware

fed250

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
For the price difference it's a no brainer. They have very similar internal setup to drives like the OCZ Vertex III max iops but this drive is actually besting most similar drives in testing. Sandisk is not new to flash storage at all so you shouldn't feel concerned about them being able to create firmware. The only real difference between this and something like the OCZ Vertex III max iops (besides the firmware) is this uses sandisks own 24nm toggle nand instead of the 32nm Toshiba toggle nand that the max iops uses. Real world condition most people won't see much if any difference between this drive and any of the other top end Sandforce sata III drives. The difference between the high end toggle or synchronous nand drives using the Sandforce chips really isn't that much and actually changes almost anytime a company changes their firmware anyway. That just means the one on the top today might not be the one of the top tomorrow. They are so close though that it really boils down to price. The Sandisk drives are a good amount cheaper than most other competitors for this bracket of drives. Now that the Sandforce drives have a fairly stable firmware just go for the cheapest one of these drives and you should be more than happy.