Sign in with
Your question

H60 - Noise problems, should I return?

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
December 17, 2012 8:44:39 AM

Hi there, I've had the H60 for around 10 months with the grinding noise problem and after installing some new fans in my Case, it's started annoying me.
I read up on here that the problem could be some air bubble and tapping could get rid of them, which I've tried with no avail.
I read somewhere else that putting the CPU cooler on a lower voltage would fix it, so I change the settings on my BIOS to silent but that hasn't worked.
Before I started trying to fix my H60, my CPU (i7-2600, non-oc) was running at around 32c idle and now it's gone up to 36-38..
The question for you lovely people is that are the any other ways of trying to fix the temperatures or should I try to return it? And do I actually need the h60 for a non-oc i7-2600 or would I be better off getting a cheaper maybe quieter one, as I'm trying to make my PC quiet as I can.

Cheers

Paul.

More about : h60 noise problems return

a c 78 K Overclocking
December 18, 2012 7:06:07 PM

Quote:
And do I actually need the H60 for a non-oc i7-2600 or would I be better off getting a cheaper maybe quieter one, as I'm trying to make my PC quiet as I can.
well actually no you don't. If you're thinking of returning it get the Hyper 212+/evo and it will cool your cpu quieter. However, since your not overclocking there is no need for an aftermarket cooler...

but yeah a cheap cooler that's quiet leaves you with the Hyper 212
a b K Overclocking
December 18, 2012 7:40:37 PM

If you want quiet with cooling potential go Noctua. The NH-D14 still is THE heatsink to conquer with these closed loop systems.

The fact that your temps are increasing when you're trying to stop this bubble make it sound like it is a bubble. The air in the loop isn't going to transfer the heat away from your CPU effectively, causing the temp to go up.

You could try removing it and sloshing the unit around, turning it upside down and round about. Unfortunately you can't bleed a closed loop. Beating an H60's cooling potential and noise level is pretty easy.

I'd go back to an air cooler.
Related resources
December 18, 2012 10:42:04 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I've managed to get hold of Corsair and they're going to RMA it and send me a replacement.

At the moment I've put my stock cooler back on which seems quiet enough. I don't think I put enough thermal paste on the CPU as I'm getting speeds of around 36-40c idle and 50-60 on a load; or are these temperatures okay?
a c 78 K Overclocking
December 18, 2012 11:58:58 PM

you're not overclocking, this will have no relevance in your end result. Unless you live in the sahara desert and are reaching threshold temps of 70~110C on load.
December 19, 2012 12:23:55 AM

50-60c on full load with your i7 is fine. Remember it isn't just the heatsink that determines your temps, but also the case's airflow and ambient temps.
!