Sign in with
Your question

HAVE 8GB RAM INSTALLED-ONLY SEEING 4GB w/WXP64b

Last response: in Memory
October 15, 2010 8:16:23 PM

I have a situation with a correct installation of 8GB of RAM (4x2GB chips). i inadvertently did a fresh boot w/an EIDE HDD that had 32bit XPP on it; probably set the RAM in BIOS then - i forgot about the adverse effects. After several other 'situations' i've posted about in other forum headings, i've installed a 320GB SATA HDD and installed WXPPro 64bit; everything else is working properly, but am still seeing only 4GB of memory. How can i fix this? i've tried one suggestion: reseat the memory chips - didn't work; now, i've been told to reset the BIOS (F2) to defaults and reboot... any other suggestions before i try this one?
October 15, 2010 8:43:50 PM

4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR2 1200(O.C.)/1066*/800/667 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture
*We recommend that you install the DDR2 1200 memory modules on the yellow slots for better performance.
*Due to AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1200(O.C.)/1066 is supported by AM3/AM2+ CPU for one DIMM per channel only.
*Refer to www.asus.com for the memory QVL (Qualified Vendors List)

REFERENCE = http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=ef0qgvMIwOUagAVl

But what does Windows see the memory at?
October 15, 2010 9:28:59 PM

The 64b OS sees it at 4,096MB; so because i have an AM3 CPU (phenom 2 x2), it only supports one DIMM per channel??? i'm confused. There are 4 channels, each w/ 2GB chips... didn't think i could go wrong by putting same size in all. i want to see all 8GBs w/o having to re-write the BIOS :-/.
Related resources
a b } Memory
October 15, 2010 9:51:40 PM

rgarza83's statement only applies if you're using DDR 1066 or 1200 (O.C. means this is an overclock setting). Basically, if you're using either of the two frequencies of RAM, you can use them in this orientation: | _ | _; however, if you wanted to use all four, simply lower the frequency in the BIOS. Also, manually configure your RAM voltage and latency, especially when occupying four DIMM slots.

After you've configured the RAM settings, restart your computer. If your BIOS doesn't recognize the 8GB, test your RAM (one stick at a time). If windows loads four times in a row (remember, you're testing your RAM individually), then try a different DIMM slot, and then try loading Windows again. Do this until you've tried all four DIMM slots, or you've discovered defective RAM sticks.

The more tedious, but accurate, method to test your RAM is by using memtest86+ .
October 16, 2010 12:45:50 AM

Ok... y'all are waaaaaay over my head. i remember talking about 'overclocking' in class a couple of yrs ago, but not something i've tried (yet). So, i'm talking about these chips: Kingston KVR800D2N5K2/2G ValueRam 2GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM - WXPP64b is reading 4,094.84MB - 3.37GB available - no O.C. So, no need to reconfigure RAM settings - right? Think i did that in Setup. At this point, you are saying: take each chip out, test them one by one... or use memtest86+?
a b } Memory
October 16, 2010 1:06:53 AM

Both, actually, but if you're pressed for time, using only one stick installed then booting into Windows is the faster way to dectect failure. MT86+ just ensures the theory of bad RAM sticks by displaying errors (if any are found).

What I posted about frequencies, timing (latency), and voltage will help you rule out your settings as the problem. The first thing you should do is increase your voltage by ~.1.

We now know your frequency (800 MHz) and your timing (CL5- [or 5-5-5]); the voltage should be on the sticker that is on the RAM sticks. Manually set your BIOS to + ~.1 over the voltage figure on your sticks.

For example, if your sticks have 1.8 V on them, set your DRAM voltage to 1.9 V in your BIOS. When you use the four sticks, you need to increase the voltage slightly to retain stability.
October 16, 2010 3:47:26 AM

So this is something i need to do ANYway? Overclocking to retain stability... and i should do that beFore i test each stick? Phew. i promise to Never 'jumpstart' a new build w/an old EIDE HDD w/the wrong info on it :-/. [sigh] i will try all of these things and get back to you. thanks.
a b } Memory
October 18, 2010 7:59:56 PM

You don't have to overclock anything. Using [Auto] values is fine, in fact the mobos are designed with that feature so that you don't have to manually configure the BIOS everytime you start up the computer.

the discussion of overclocking started because rgarza83 posted the limitation your mobo has with using high clocked RAM. If you have 4x2GB installed, there are three common places to verify the correct density (GB amount) of RAM is detected.

1. BIOS - When you press the power button to turn on your computer, notice that it will go through a Power On Self-Test (or POST). While it is POSTing, your RAM is scanned and checked for checksum value errors. Soon after the RAM is finished being tested, POST moves on to other hardware (keyboard, HDD, etc.), this is when you can press the Pause/Break key to pause the POST. While paused, jot down the number shown (you should see ~8589934592K).

2. Windows - Press the Windows (Start) Key + Pause/Break and you will see the System Information window pop up. You probably have been checking this screen already, and have seen 4.0 instead of 8.0.

3. Third Party software - Programs like SpeedFan and CPU-Z will show you how much RAM you have recognized by your system.

If all three ways show the same value, then chances are high that you have a either a mobo or RAM module problem.
October 18, 2010 8:28:02 PM

Thanks for 'breaking it down' for me. i have configured SETUP many times, but never found the place that SHOWS me what the System vs. the OS reads; so that's how i get to it? ok. Perhaps if i'd let it go thru the entire POST on the screen, i would see more. i did check Overclocking & frequencies, and they are all set to AUTO (as you said) - there's a range of ~1.50 - ~2.44. i plan to do #1 on your list; already familiar w/#2. Aside from all of this, don't you think i probably messed up things when i did the first boot w/that EIDE HDD? But i'm thinking, when i removed it and installed the new SATA HDD w/WXPP64b, surely the BIOS would make the adjustment -you know- write over the incorrect information? i had all kinds of problems until i installed the mobo drivers. After i check the sticks & all is well, should i just FLASH the BIOS? the one i have is the same as the one i downloaded from ASUS last week - or, maybe the download is newer? they have the same #. i appreciate all of your help.
a b } Memory
October 19, 2010 12:03:15 AM

I really don't think that your RAM issue is related to how you installed your OS. EIDE or SATA have no relation or affect on RAM. I suppose you could venture to say that indirectly, installing a 32-bit (x86) OS on any type of bootable drive, could cause your problems ---- IF (and I'm pretty sure this isn't the problem, but...) you chose to upgrade your 32-bit OS, as the Windows Vista disc (depending on the version you purchased/acquired) has both architectures on one disc.

As far as BIOS updates, well most of the time the BIOS update descriptions don't list everything the update addresses. If your mobo can support 8GB and everything else you've tried hasn't helped, updating the BIOS certainly is a viable option.
October 26, 2010 6:05:34 AM

OMG!!! T_T, you are the bomb! But let me clarify a few things: As i was building the PC, the main pieces weren't coming fast enough; i was still waiting on the SATA 750G Caviar blk HDD. i had everything except the HDD, monitor & keyboard. So i used my old EIDE HDD from my other PC i'm going to rebuild later, because XP SP3 was already installed w/many of the programs i use, so i thought i'd use it just for the boot drive, but the disk controller is dragging; dragged less the 2nd time i booted to install the SATA drive. i removed it after i reset the boot order. the PC didnt do ANYthing but sit there and run, when i tried to boot from the new drive... that's how i ended up doing a 2nd boot from the old EIDE. As for Vista... i never liked it! i have a disc from a Microsoft TechNet Event i've never used. i'm keeping it for a client or in case i need it for whatever. i like XP, and i had an XPPro 64bit OS disc that came with the XPPro 32bit OS installed on that EIDE HDD - that is what i installed on the 320G Blue that i bought from CompUSA the day after i had all of those issues with that bad EIDE.

As i perused the OS folders last week, i notice there are Program Files folders for both x86 and x64 - but when i tried to iinstall MS Offc 2010, i couldn't do it thru regular setup - knew there had to be another way, so i went to Google. i found a link to download the Application Verifier and MSXML 6.0 SP2 (i had SP1) and was able to install it that way - from setup inside the 64bit folder (specs say Windows 7 64bit, but not XP 64bit, only XP SP3-32 bit... but it's on there and working fine.

So you're probably right about the EIDE HDD not causing the problem (that's good). i also did not see VALUERAM on the list of qualified RAM for my mobo :-(. sooo, maybe together, those are the problems. Think i'm gonna order better RAM for this board and save the others for the next build... or to put in PCs i build for other ppl. i'm out of town at a church conference this wk, but i'll let you know what happens after i order more RAM... i'll get the chips Kingston suggests for my mobo. Thanks T_T, you are the bomb :-)!
February 24, 2011 9:55:16 PM

Ok, now that i have installed Windows 7 x64 Pro, i am showing a FULL 4GB of RAM when i have those 2GB chips in each bank. Before, w/xp64pro, i was showing less. But now i'm thinking, after re-reading T_T's reply, it's probably about the fact that the OS accomodates both 32 and 64 bit software; only a couple of programs (maya, photoshop cs5) are 64bit... printer software, but not Office 2010. And, i must not have the right chips, never reordered - maybe all i will get out of ValueRam is 'half the value'; not sure. i'm going to invest in chips on that list as soon as i can; maybe i'll see 8GB then?
!