How far should I overclock to?

Sam B

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
I am upgrading my build soon and will be overclocking my CPU. As I have never overclocked anything before I need to know how far I can go without damaging it or causing it to become unstable. I also need to know what I should use to overclock it, I have some software that came with the CPU called “Easy Tune 6” that appears to be for overclocking but should I just use the BIOS?

I was intending overclocking to around 4.5GHz I currently have an Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz and will soon be upgrading my PSU to 1200W so power won’t be a problem.

you should ONLY use bios to overclock, there are tools you can use in windows but dont use them

i have my 2550k at 4.8...you should get it around there too just read up on some overclocking guides

syrupd

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
Easy Tune is a silly program. Its for people who want to think they are overclocking :)

Alvine is right, do it all in your bios, there are some great tutorials, and even if you look for a review on your board you should find steps on how to do it.

Being you have ET6, I assume you have a gigabyte board which are so easy to overclock.

Here's a good video: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&ved=0CGcQtwIwBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNxCPyF-1tTc&ei=bivPUKukE-GvyQGw-YAw&usg=AFQjCNGGZtbomfEdB4B9V6OeOanFLK2xlQ&sig2=dsi0ezucTeF4Fl_BcwJbHA

Sam B

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

syrupd

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
Everyones got thier own opinion on cooling, best to do your own research and see what fits well for what you want to do. read lots of reviews and get the actual comparison of temps that people were able to get.

I had a cooler master similar to that one and it did a great job cooling my AMD 6100, but now I am using water cooling on my intel and it does just as good as a job, but I am not going for extreme speeds, just stable.

TRENDING THREADS