Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD For New Build

Last response: in Storage
March 12, 2012 12:02:23 AM

I'm planning a new build and looking at storage now. I want to get a high performance smaller drive for OS and applications and then a large size storage drive. I'm currently looking at two WD HDD, but was curious about getting a SSD for my OS/App drive. I don't know anything about SSD so hoping for some advice about what are some quality drives I should look at. What are good brands? How big should I look for? Is there a difference in performance if I get larger SSD versus smaller?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

More about : ssd build

Best solution

a b G Storage
March 12, 2012 12:20:38 AM

The performance difference isn't really based on the size, it has more to do with the controller/type of flash memory used. Different sizes of the same model type actually use different generations of the components. I have a 256GB crucial m4 and I love it, more than fast enough and ahs a good performance/size/price ration. I've also heard very good things about the samsung mentioned above but have no personal experience with it.
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 12, 2012 12:29:20 AM

I would recommend the mentioned m4, The Samsung and the Chronos deluxe. The standard Chronos uses asynchronous nand so avoid that.
Actually larger drives usually do mean faster speeds, but the 120GB drives are almost as fast as their 240GB counterparts.
I find the 120GB to be a nice size for the OS, and the price per GB is pretty good too.
m
l
March 12, 2012 12:42:54 AM

you'll still be happy with the slowest SSD, even mine @ 60GB (smaller tech/speeds) is fast as hell i still have 30ish GB to spare after OS + apps
m
l
March 12, 2012 12:45:53 AM

After looking at prices I think I might go with a 120/128GB. I currently have only 74 for my OS/App drive and have survived with it so far (although it is getting pretty full).

The Crucial M4 looks to have gotten great reviews and it's well priced so I'll take a look at that. As well as the performance page.
m
l
March 22, 2012 12:00:42 PM

Best answer selected by rancineb.
m
l
!