Sign in with
Your question

FX-6300 got slower as I overclocked

Last response: in Overclocking
December 17, 2012 11:58:53 AM

So this is my first go at OC'ing, but I've done most of the required reading so you don't have to be too patient with me! I am facing possibly two problems that I will detail below, but first here is my build:

AMD FX-6300 Vishera (3.5 stock)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus w/ MX-2 paste
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
16GB Samsung 3V4G3D DDR3 RAM
HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD
Antec Neo Eco 520C PSU (Seasonic)
Antec DF-35
Windows 8 Pro

So the system is perfectly stable at stock speed, but that is obviously not what I am going for. The components were basically chosen on price/performance ratio only (wanted a cheap build for my first OC).

I have two problems, and they may or may not be related. I was hoping some of the in house experts would be able to help me with this one.

Problem 1 (Ram issues):

This may just be a limitation, but it seems odd. When I set up my Samsung 3V4G3D RAM, I can only get stability at 1600 (but decent timing such as 8-8-8-8-22 w/ 1N/T). The GA-990FXA states that it should handle up to 2000OC, but I can't ever seem to get the RAM over 1600. ED NOTE: When I first powered on, Windows only saw 14GB (12GB active). I ended up reseating the RAM and re-seating the cooler/CPU. After this its always seen 16GB. Not sure if this is relevant).

Problem 2 (Slower when OC'ing):

Using my RAM stable at 1600 8-8-8-8-22 w/ 1N/T, I set the CPU Vcore to 1.475 and increased my multiplier to give 4.5Ghz. Everything booted up fine and I ran 3DMark11 (free version 1280x720). I had previously run it at stock settings and got a combined score around 5K (not sure if that sucks or not). After running 3DMark11 with the OC, I got a combined score of like 2.5K.... My graphics score was near the same, but everything else dropped.

What gives?!?
a b K Overclocking
December 19, 2012 12:46:42 AM

wow man 1.46 holy cow haha. i had mine at 4.6 and the v core was at 1.4125 with the fsb @ 230 and mult at 20x. it runs great even when running full load till i try to play bf3 which constantly crash for some reason. the best thing ive found is disable cpus and gpu spread spectrum, disable turbo, disable any sort of power saving modes, disable cool and quiet and manually set all your memory timings. my memory timings go everywhere when adjusting everywhere till the point its so out of wack i have to restore it. also you have very small modules i wouldnt try to push them to far past 1600 esp with no heatsinks.

according to what you said your timings are at 8-8-8-8-22 2 ?voltage most likely 1.5v

the memory specs are Timing 11-11-11-28
Cas Latency 11
Voltage 1.35V

you are most likely pushing them to hard at 8 timings. try setting it to that then raising the speeds from there and maybe bumping the voltage up just a hair.

but dont listen to passmark anything my scores very so much using that. it was saying my 1866 was slower than ddr2 in some cases then it beat out ddr3 with 16gb in MB/s

what cooler are you using as well for your cpu. im liquid cooled and mine will run at 55-60c under full load after 20 mins. even playing bf3 it wont ever come close to that it barely uses any cpu.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 19, 2012 1:06:32 AM

You know what makes me wonder? If you're having all that issue with the ram, why not try loosening the timings something closer to what 06yfz450ridr said the timings are. I'd also try running memtest386 on each dimm individually if you're having any issues even at stock speeds. Timings are as important as frequency and pushing timings that far is going to cause instability for sure. Get your RAM figured out before you go overclocking the processor at all. Overclocking while your RAM isn't stable is a surefire method to have even more mind boggling stability issues.

So get your ram issue together first. There's absolutely no point in pushing the processor yet. Set the default timings and work from there. If you want pure throughput then loosen the timings even more and push the ram faster. If you want fast timings, lower the clock and tighten the timings. You can't just do both right off rip and expect it to run no matter what.

After that, get some base scores and then start clocking your system. You are probably getting so many errors in the ram right now that it's slowing your system down.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 19, 2012 11:47:24 AM

steddora said:
You know what makes me wonder? If you're having all that issue with the ram, why not try loosening the timings something closer to what 06yfz450ridr said the timings are. I'd also try running memtest386 on each dimm individually if you're having any issues even at stock speeds. Timings are as important as frequency and pushing timings that far is going to cause instability for sure. Get your RAM figured out before you go overclocking the processor at all. Overclocking while your RAM isn't stable is a surefire method to have even more mind boggling stability issues.

So get your ram issue together first. There's absolutely no point in pushing the processor yet. Set the default timings and work from there. If you want pure throughput then loosen the timings even more and push the ram faster. If you want fast timings, lower the clock and tighten the timings. You can't just do both right off rip and expect it to run no matter what.

After that, get some base scores and then start clocking your system. You are probably getting so many errors in the ram right now that it's slowing your system down.

i agree, i ran mem test on both a while ago and there were no problems. BF3 is a very unstable game at times. it gives alot of ppl problems, i dont get if i can run a stability test on full load and it runs great then when ni go to play bf3 it crashes as soon as i get into a games. drives me crazy. it may be memory related since i believe my timings might be changing when i start overclocking. just so many variables to test. just test everything step by step
m
l
!