Sign in with
Your question

Advice on My Build Please

Last response: in Systems
February 27, 2010 1:17:33 PM

Hi all!

First off, I am new to Tom's Hardware. Well I have been on many times as a reader, this is my first time signing up and posting.

I am considering this build that my friend considers a waste of money so I thought I would get some advice here. So here we go...

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:within the next month/week

BUDGET RANGE: <$1,700 CAD, After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies, 24/7 up and running seeding torrents

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:keyboard, mouse. Some parts I may be able to salvage from my old computer, I included these in the list.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: include shipping: newegg.ca, tigerdirect.ca. Do not include shipping: Infonec.com, Canadacomputers.com

OVERCLOCKING: No / Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION:1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like a quiet PC

PARTS PREFERENCES:

Case:
Salvaged: Thermaltake Xaser III Skull ($0)

New:Antec Three Hundred ($59)

PSU:
Salvaged: Antec TP3-650 ($0)

New:Corsair 750 W (CMPSU-750TX) ($129)

MOBO: ASUS P6T X58 ICH10 ($239)

CPU: CORE I7 920 ($309)

RAM: OCZ3P1333LV6GK ($139 after rebate, deal ends this weekend)

or

F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK ($179 plus shippin)

HDD: st3500418as ($55) x1 (i already have 1 of these, plan to Raid 0 two of em) will add existing 1 TB drive for storage also

ODD: LG GH22NS50 ($22)

VIDEO: HD 5850 ($289)

Monitor: ASUS VW246H 24" ($229)

So my logic is, go with this mobo and in future I can add another HD5850 (2x x16 PCIe 2.0), another 6 GB Ram (total 12 GB, 6 slots), and intel's new i9 six core's will support sock 1366. Will most likely need a PSU upgrade too.

What do you guys think about using my old case and psu?

I believe this adds to <1700 which I am happy with, any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

More about : advice build

March 11, 2010 11:14:23 PM

Wow, I like it.

Personaly I dont want to go to 1366 yet as no one seems to be putting a lot of development into it as yet - they will go all out when i9's come though. Old case will be fine, providing it has good cooling. as for the PSU, I really like corsair PSU's so you might as well upgrade.

Other than that, it will do what you need it to do just fine. Waste of money? Meh...

Oh, and AWESOME motherboard!!!
m
l
March 12, 2010 12:01:00 AM

According to the reviews I've checked the TP3-650 is a decent performer. It does not have enough PCI-E connectors for more than one 5850. So you would have to use the molex adapters if you didn't want to change PSU. It would be nice if you could see into the future to see if getting a quality power supply for your needs will be cheaper now or in the future when you buy the second card.
The i7 930 has been released, which is the replacement for the now discontinued i7 920, if you are interested, it is not too much more expensive and apparently it overclocks better.
m
l
!