Newb question about SATA

styxbb

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Finishing up my first build in about 5 years. My motherboards is an ASUS p7p55d - pro. Having never worked with SATA drives before, This board has 6 SATA 3 connections and one that is labeled SATA E1 and the board is labeled right next to this boot drive led. Do I hook my hard drive to Sata 1 or Sata E1? Also, my power connecters are labeled SATA 1, 2, 3...... Do they need to correspond to the connection on the MB? Seems unlikely.

Thanks for any help.

My build

Intel i5-750
Asus P7P55D Pro
G.Skill 4 gb DDR3-1600 CL7
OCZ GameXtream 600 Watt PS
Azza Helios 910 case (nice - 4 big and quiet fans)
Geforce 9800 GT 1 gb (unless I decide I need more)
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB
LG DVD Burner
AOC 22 inch LCD

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
The SATA power connectors can be connected any way you like. They only provide power, not data.

The SATA_E1 is the SATA port connected to the JMicron controller. The 6 normal SATA ports are connected to the P55 chipset. The SATA_E1's performance will be horrible. I suggest you avoid using that port unless it's your 7th hard disk in the system. :) I own the P7P55D EVO, and it has 2 SATA ports provided by the JMicron controller. It's performance is going to be slower because of the increased latency introduced by the JMicron controller.

I recommend you plug the OS drive to SATA 1. The rest you can plug any way you like.

ABBDVD

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
why do you need to hook up an onboard controller on the SATA_E1? if it's onboard then it should already be hooked up except if you can take it away optional in case that you don't need it.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

The extra controller is on the motherboard. It provides 1 additional SATA port, plus the PATA and an eSATA port.