Hockeyguyinoc

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
The Synapse drive looks promising. Has anyone tested it out other then some short review? I'm thinking about getting the 128gb version or the 120gb Agility 3.

My concerns are lifespan and then speed. Do you think it will hold up as well compared to an Agility 3 and speed?

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
No kidding that Synapse looks awesome on paper. Great over provisioning, synch nand, etc... It should blow the doors off the agility 3.

I wonder about the cache function a little.

But price/GB/performance... win/win/win!

An agility 3 will drop to vertex 2 like speeds as it starts to fill up.

GO CANUCKS!

Hockeyguyinoc

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
This is my take, I'm going to be pushing all my data to the 2TB hard drive either way. Cached or not I don't care I would like the performance boost of an SSD.

The Synapse was looking like it did the performance boost but in a better way by doing it to what you used most and not just all programs etc that are stored on it.

So far it seems like it is too new to tell if it does a good job or just an OK job.

I've seen the agility 3 for about $119 for the 120GB which makes it a very attractive price point.

The Synapse is looking like roughly $179...so it is a huge increase if the performance isn't there it doesn't make much sense.

Anyone using the Synapse yet and have had an SSD in the past to compare it to?

This is my other thoughts on an SSD all your temp files etc get written to your hard drive. On the synapse it gets written to the 2TB drive. In ways it is less abuse on the Synapse longer life span and easier manage.

Pointing my documents to a storage drive is a simple task so either way it isn't like you have much work to do to avoid saving to the SSD drive.

That is why I'm a bit wondering what people are seeing performance wise.

TRENDING THREADS