Sign in with
Your question

That's a lot of thermal paste!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 17, 2010 2:47:48 AM

Ok so my temps have been a bit high for my pny 9800GT EE they idle at like 60C and ive seen it get up to 75C in furmark so I was really worried and tried to change my cooling in my case, nothing did anything so I wanted to put some new thermal paste in and see if that did anything. So after I finished unscrewing the screws I go to pull the heatsink off the card, It felt really stuck so I carefully pulled wondering what was so sticky, i was shocked, there was an extremely large amount of thermal paste, enough to paste up 2 cpus, just thick layers of paste, I figured that might be the problem so I took it all off and put some of my own paste on it thats basically a generic arctic silver and my temps went dropped down by 1-2C.. has anyone heard of anything like this? im not kidding you, a ton!! like 6 pee size drops worth.

Also am I safe to run these temps, right now my cpu is idle at 55C with fan speed at 45C, I turn the fan to 60% while gaming but I hate turning it up because its really loud. What max temp am I safe with? a safe temp that will let the card run as long as most.

Thanks

More about : lot thermal paste

a b Î Nvidia
February 17, 2010 3:02:49 AM

Those temps are normal, what die size does gpu-z show that as? I have a 8600gt at 80nm die. Playing a movie it runs at 73.0c .
m
l
February 17, 2010 5:46:26 AM

I had to rebuild a geforce 285 after a cpu water cooler blew up (the card was air cooled). The fluid loosened the thermal compound to where it would fail intermittently.

Anyway I pulled the whole thing apart and yeah they use a lot of thermal interface material on the heatsink. The thing to remember is that it's a thermal pad not thermal grease.

Thermal pad is meant to fill gaps whereas thermal grease is designed for direct contact. In my case I had to be careful because a single solid 285 heatsink contacts the gpu, the ram, and the mosfets. I end up using Céramique grease on GPU and a mix of 0.5 mm and 1.0 mm thermal pad, from cut-table sheets, on everything else. I was going for good long term contact rather than thermal performance.

If your heatsink only contacts the GPU you should be okay. However I've heard Arctic Silver 5 sometimes needs to be reapplied after a year or so.
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2010 12:36:07 PM

75c is actually just about normal for a modern GPU under load. Don't worry about it until it starts getting up to about 85c or more.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 17, 2010 2:17:27 PM

This is common and had once found a pic on search of a 9800gt+ was being reviewed and when they pulled the cooler it had enough compound for several Xeons :o  to ware some of the compound found its way onto the pcb. It is a good thing that you cleaned up the mess since stock compound usually goes bad after a few months. I am surprised to see my x1900xt idling at 32c this morning at stock fan settings.
m
l
February 17, 2010 4:27:56 PM

Thanks for all of your input everyone, what about my idle temps? they range from 52-58 ish is this too high?
m
l
February 17, 2010 4:30:04 PM

Not unusual. I've disassembled and cleaned several models of 8800 GTS, 9800 GTs, GTS 250, GTX 260, and the paste was gummy almost like haf paste and half chewing gum. Either AS5 is too expensive for the videovard manufacturres to use it ot they believe what they out on does a better job.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
February 17, 2010 4:51:25 PM

vexun11 said:
Thanks for all of your input everyone, what about my idle temps? they range from 52-58 ish is this too high?

My 8800GT's idle at 40c and 44c but they do have Zalmen VF900's on which are worth 10-15c over the standard single slot coolers, so you are in the ballpark if it's a single slot cooler IMHO.
m
l
February 17, 2010 10:31:49 PM

A buddy of mine at work purchased Dynex® - Thermal Compound from best buy and loaned it to me, do you think I should remove all the thermal paste pny put on it and put some of this stuff on it? this stuff looks just like arctic silver, does anyone know much about this paste? it seems like its a generic of arctic silver or something lol
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 18, 2010 12:06:29 AM

vexun11 said:
A buddy of mine at work purchased Dynex® - Thermal Compound from best buy and loaned it to me, do you think I should remove all the thermal paste pny put on it and put some of this stuff on it? this stuff looks just like arctic silver, does anyone know much about this paste? it seems like its a generic of arctic silver or something lol

It is worth a shot, if temps are the same then no loss if better then good job.
m
l
February 19, 2010 12:22:03 AM

I am scared that im gona make the temps go up by doing it lol, I saw on your profile that you have a 8k rpm fan on your 9800gt?!

tell me about it lol
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 19, 2010 12:45:35 AM

vexun11 said:
I am scared that im gona make the temps go up by doing it lol, I saw on your profile that you have a 8k rpm fan on your 9800gt?!

tell me about it lol

I will do a vid later but right now I am uploading videos about that false flag attack but any way the fan is loud. I used a old fan from off a vintage thermaltake cooler. It is a 40mm fan is a double height compared to most of its time. It typically runs between 7.2k~8.5k rpm and tends to vibrate to :s but does a GOOD job on a modded 1U sever cooler that I drilled to mount on my 9800gt 1gb (second card) using the mount bracket and bolts from my 6800gt. The temps under load with the clocks maxed out stay in the 60s.
m
l
February 19, 2010 1:47:02 AM

wow, I for sure have to see this lol, what clock speeds are you running? Doesn't all that noise drive you nuts?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 19, 2010 11:36:54 AM

vexun11 said:
wow, I for sure have to see this lol, what clock speeds are you running? Doesn't all that noise drive you nuts?

There is other fans and its the case fans that piss me off atm. That rig needs at lot more work unlike my secondary box.
m
l
February 26, 2010 11:44:17 PM

That is awesome! What temps do you get? I commented on your youtube video, keep em comming
m
l
!