Sign in with
Your question

Seasonic X650 and Asus A7N9X

Last response: in Components
May 6, 2010 1:32:13 AM

art of the puzzle has fallen into place. I have an old Iwill KK266 Plus box lying around which was used as a fax server. Hooked it up and it boots fine into Windows.

So, either there is something about my A7N8X which it does not like or despite several attempts I am not fully hooking up the 20 pin connector.
May 6, 2010 1:32:51 AM

I am posting two posts that I made in another forum. Any comments to them would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I am about to build one and perhaps 2 new computers. My current main computer is an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe which was using an Antec Truepower 430 whose rails were starting to sag.

I knew I needed immediately to replace it and with the view to my imminent build I bought a Corsair HX650 which while theoretically an ATX 2.3 unit is backward compatible to 2.01. My MB is ATX 1.3 using the 5V rail primarily. This works fine now in the computer.

However, for my new build I started thinking I would really rather have bought the Seasonic X 650 Gold series. My thinking was I would return perhaps the Corsair and eat the 15% restocking fee.

However, when I installed the Seasonic X650 today it starts, the fans including the CPU fan spin up and it goes nowhere. No beep, no boot, no video.

I bought this online and I don't have a new motherboard to test the Seasonic on. I will be get an Asus X58 board.

Is this most probably a case of simple incompatibility? Or is the PSU defective? I know that I am asking a lot but how often do you people run into similar incompatibilities like this? I really do not want to RMA a perfectly fine PSU. I am about a week or two away from purchasing parts for my new system(s)

Any ideas most appreciated.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
May 6, 2010 3:41:08 AM

I have the Seasonic X650 Gold power supply and an Asus motherboard. I have not had any problems.

Here is a link to the "system won't boot" and "no video output" checklist:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Do everything in the checklist and be sure to follow the links to additional help.

Good Luck
m
l
Related resources
May 10, 2010 12:15:44 AM

Thanks for the reply. Everything applicable in that checklist has been done. The issue I believe is more a lack of amperage on the 5V rail - 25 Amps and a total of 125 Watts total shared with the 3.3 V Rail. I appreciate you have an Asus MB but yours is not an ATX 1.3 board which relies heavily on the 5V Rail.

Once again, thanks for the reply.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
May 10, 2010 12:37:16 AM

Perhaps one of these with 36 amps on the +5 volt rail and 30 amps on the +3.3 volt will do:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Please click on the photos and take a close look at the data label on the psu.

In addition, here is the specification sheet for the original Antec True Power 550 watt power supply with a +5 volt rail rated at 40 amps and a +3.3 volt rail rated at 32 amps:

http://www.antec.com/specs/true550EPS12V_spe.html

m
l
May 10, 2010 2:14:31 AM

peterg2 said:
Thanks for the reply. Everything applicable in that checklist has been done. The issue I believe is more a lack of amperage on the 5V rail - 25 Amps and a total of 125 Watts total shared with the 3.3 V Rail. I appreciate you have an Asus MB but yours is not an ATX 1.3 board which relies heavily on the 5V Rail.

Once again, thanks for the reply.

I have an A7N8X-E with a 3200+ Barton in it and from what I've seen and heard, you want somewhere around 170 watts or better (34-35 W) to run a +5V Athlon XP board like the A7N8X with higher-end CPUs. A modern ATX12V v2.3 PSU like the unit you got is great for modern computers that pull almost all of their power from +12V, but will die quickly or fail to even turn on an old +5V board. I learned that lesson the hard way as a 300 W ATX12V PSU I previously had in the unit with 30 A on the +5V rail and 150 W between +3.3V/+5V died after about a year of use. The replacement unit with 180 W between +3.3V/+5V has been working well ever since.
m
l
!