Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I load Windows 7 on this computer?

Last response: in CPUs
May 6, 2010 2:01:11 AM

Hello,
I recently got a dell precision 650 desktop as a gift from a neighbor. It doesn't hava an OS right now, that got blown away because he got it from work and they upgraded hardware. I would like to install windows 7, but I have been told by Dell that there are no Dell drivers for this model. Is there any way around this? Or is XP the only Os this desktop can handle.

Specs...
(2) 2.4 Gig Xeon processors
2 Gig ram

More about : load windows computer

Best solution

a c 133 à CPUs
May 6, 2010 2:17:23 AM

You should be ok windows 7 should install all the necessary drivers itself Dell tech support are idiots if its not written on their script they read they dont know nadda.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
May 6, 2010 2:30:31 AM

Yes, treefrog07 is correct. Find the motherboard chipset and download the drivers directly from the chipset manufacturer IF Windows 7 doesn't do it for you. It likely will. And your machine is powerful enough
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
May 6, 2010 5:52:50 PM

When the Win 7 RC was out, a lot of Vista drivers worked under Win 7, not sure if that's still the case with the retail versions. I find it hard to believe a newer OS can't be installed, I've never had a computer I couldn't install a new OS on unless it was literally to slow to handle it.
m
l
May 13, 2010 2:23:00 PM

saaiello said:
You should be ok windows 7 should install all the necessary drivers itself Dell tech support are idiots if its not written on their script they read they dont know nadda.

Thank you for responding. I will try to install windows 7 and see what happens.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2010 8:17:18 PM

You are welcome, I hope it works for you.
m
l
May 23, 2010 6:03:46 PM

Best answer selected by ed nowacki.
m
l
!