P7P55D-E-LX and wind XP Home with Corsair ram keeps freezing

mickyyyy

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
Hi All,

My p.c. is built at the shop and there having issues with the Corsair Dominator C7 and C9 ram with Asus board and windows home xp, which I believe is 32bit.

They now have put cheaper 1333mhz ram and it docent freeze for some weird reason.

Anyone have any ideas what is wrong?

Apparently they have updated the bios and never had issues with this board with windows 7 and decent rams like Corsair Dominator and Hyper X.

Thanks to all in advance

Cheers

Michael

Solution
No I meant the PSU waste less watts trying to power the equiptment. Can't really pull up numbers but for example if you're pulling 500W from a 500W PSU(which I don't recommend) if it only has an efficiency rating of 80% at that level than it has to really pull in 625W because 20% of it is wasted as heat in the conversion process. For light use that 750W Corsair will barely draw more than 300W, drawing around 40% of capacity efficiency can't be really high at all.

mickyyyy

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
The shop is putting it together for me and they did say the downloaded the latest mb bois and my xp already has service pack 2

Should i suggest them to dwnload all the latest drivers for video card as well???

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
If its a RAM problem the video card shouldn't affect it at all. As to updates tell the shop to go for sevice pack 3, Microsoft no longer provides updates for SP2(or you could also download and install it yourself). I think it might be a RAM problem but if it works well in another system I have to say it's a motherboard problem.

mickyyyy

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
Can u believe they put a 900 watt GW Gatewall and it works perfect but isn't it way to much? I didn't think a basic system like this needed so much power?

I told them to install a 750watt corsair and see how that goes and if it works out well should I go cooler master 750watt instead as it's $30.00 cheaper?

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
PSUs are more efficient when you use 65%-85% of its max wattage, sure 80 plus certification means that it is at least over 80% efficiency at 20,40,60% levels but not as efficient as the ideal levels. Efficiency means that more power is converted to useful dc current and not wasted in the conversion process.

mickyyyy

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
ok so bigger PSU dosent have to work as hard and it runs in its efficient watt range, so no big deal if i stick with a bigger PSU really???

I use that logic with everything even my cars so things last longer and run better and thats why i went GTX460 over a 5770card.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
No I meant the PSU waste less watts trying to power the equiptment. Can't really pull up numbers but for example if you're pulling 500W from a 500W PSU(which I don't recommend) if it only has an efficiency rating of 80% at that level than it has to really pull in 625W because 20% of it is wasted as heat in the conversion process. For light use that 750W Corsair will barely draw more than 300W, drawing around 40% of capacity efficiency can't be really high at all.

Solution