  • Configuration
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
November 13, 2004 1:55:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.nt,microsoft.public.win2000.windows,microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hi,

Sorry for the huge cross-post, but I wasn't sure of the best forum to ask
this. So I picked 'em all! :)

Anyway, I have a USB flash drive that I carry between my home PC and 2 or 3
PCs at work. Whenever I plug in the drive, it is always to use a specific
Excel file and a specific Outlook .pst file. Is there any way to set up an
autorun.inf file to automatically launch these files whenever I plug in the
drive?

I've tried writing an autorun.inf file and storing it on the root directory
of the flash drive, but Windows gives me the "Windows can perform the same
action each time you insert a disk or connect a device with this kind of
file" box and presents me with two options: either open the folder and view
the files, or do no action at all. Neither is what I'm wanting to do. If
it matters, I'm using Windows XP Professional at home, and Windows 2000 at
work.

Anyone have any ideas?

--ben.

More about : autorun flash drive

Anonymous
November 14, 2004 3:03:13 PM

Hurricane Boy wrote:

> Anyway, I have a USB flash drive that I carry between my home PC and 2 or 3
> PCs at work. [...] Is there any way to set up an autorun.inf file to
> automatically launch these files whenever I plug in the drive? I've tried
> writing an autorun.inf file and storing it on the root directory of the flash
> drive, but Windows gives me the "Windows can perform the same action each
> time you insert a disk or connect a device with this kind of file" box and
> presents me with two options: either open the folder and view the files, or
> do no action at all. Neither is what I'm wanting to do. [...]

Making autorun.inf that's not all - try also change binary value
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun" in registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
and set it to "80 00 00 00".

--
Regards
Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk