Sign in with
Your question

Deleted a partition

Last response: in Components
May 6, 2010 3:59:19 AM

I was trying to install windows 7 on a brand new WD 500 gig hard drive with no luck. It won't boot from cd and gives this error "Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt. Then it try's to start windows even though it has not been installed. Then it gives me options to boot in.

Another problem is I formatted the HD and deleted a 8mb partition and now I can't see the drive in the bios or in My computer.

Thanks

More about : deleted partition

May 6, 2010 7:31:11 AM

Back up a bit. You need to explain a bit more clearly what you setup was before you tried to install 7, and what you did after that.
Do you have an existing OS (XP/Vista) that still works?
If so, did you try and install 7 to a new drive on the same PC? What steps did you follow when doing this?
What type of Windows 7 is this? (retail/upgrade/OEM)

More detail please.
May 6, 2010 7:54:30 AM

jim7219 said:
I was trying to install windows 7 on a brand new WD 500 gig hard drive with no luck. It won't boot from cd and gives this error "Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt. Then it try's to start windows even though it has not been installed. Then it gives me options to boot in.

Another problem is I formatted the HD and deleted a 8mb partition and now I can't see the drive in the bios or in My computer.

Thanks

huh?
Related resources
May 6, 2010 8:08:29 AM

Check your boot order. DVD should come ahead of HD.
May 6, 2010 10:42:35 AM

The boot order was from the DVD. I was trying to load Windows 7 OEM System builders pack on a new WD hard drive. It boots from the CD and has a white progress-sing bar across the bottom of the screen that says "windows is loading files"
after that it says "Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt." This is a AMD dual core with a GeForce motherboard with. I was running XP Pro but I have that drive removed.
May 6, 2010 1:22:09 PM

To my knowledge, a oem system builders pack must be copied to the HD, it is not meant to be installed from the DVD, but to be preinstalled on a HD so that when the end-user boots up the computer, they go thru the mini setup.
May 6, 2010 5:03:39 PM

I installed OEM windows 7 on mine without any problems. So I don't think it is the reason. Though, my HDs were used before on my previous PC
May 6, 2010 5:06:49 PM

His is NOT a normal OEM. He indicates that it is a System builders pack..

Un less you also have an Systems builders pack?

They are not the same. The systems builder pack is built to be imaged to a hard disk

Frankly I dont know where he got it, normally only big OEM's or IT departments will use those to image multiple computers

May 6, 2010 10:48:39 PM

I got it from Tiger direct. On the box it says OEM system builder pack intended for system builder only. Product description Win PRO 7 64-Bit English 1PK DSP OEI DVD.

I installed it on a WD 500 gig hard drive from the CD and ran about 24 hours then would not boot up (the hard drive went bad). Returned it and now I have the problems above. It boots from the CD put not like any install like I have seen. It has the white progression bar at the bottom then goes to a window logo saying it is booting up like you already have a OS installed. Then give the error "windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt (of course it is a brand new hard drive)

I formatted the HD to remove anything I might have got on it by accident. It had two partition on it on was 470 gig and the other 8mb now it will not show up in the bios. When I hook up my old drive (with the new drive) it hang and boots very slow. You can not see the new drive here either.

So I have 2 problems.

1.How to I get 7 OEM to install?
2.Did I remove something during the format the will not allow it to be seen in the bios?

Thanks for your help
May 6, 2010 10:55:13 PM

The 8mb partition is nothing to worry about. It is reserved space that the windows installation reserves.. Actually Windows 7 now reserves 100MB instead of 8.

The issue with your DVD is that is expects to be running off your HD and not directly from the DVD. This is the reason it pops up the error regarding missing files because its expected to be booting from the HD and thos files would be there.

To use a Systems builders pack, you will need to copy the contents on the HD by booting off a USB drive for example and then basically formatting the HD and copying the whole content. On reboot the computer will boot off the HD and go thru a mini setup..

BUT first you need to get that hard disk recognised in the BIOS... Cant say much about that besides double checking your cables... not much you can do if it aint detected.. unless you disabled some SATA ports in the BIOS by mistake...

So try another sata port, cable, or worse case the HD is dead

ANd you would save alot of issues but returning that Windows 7 copy and buying anormal OEM (not a systems builder ) edition
May 6, 2010 11:02:15 PM

Are you talking about the whole contents of the CD? Just copy the files to the usb? I guess that was the reason this disk was cheaper. What is strange is the defective drive loaded it on with no problems.

Thanks
!